Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 173

Author Topic: New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric  (Read 914742 times)

Re: New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric
« Reply #60 on: 09-16-04 at 11:27 am »

hello all.  i called the PTO today and found myself getting bounced around a bit.  but, i eventually spoke to a guy named Bill Griffin.  he is apparently an attorney who deals with prometric on this.  basically, he told me that they still have not done whatever they need to do in order to make sure the results are indicatative the skills/knowledge of the test takers.  it sounds like they are have the raw scores, but have not yet 'normalized' the scores.  it was all very shady and vague.  made me feel like i was living in a communist country or something.  anyway i digress.  so, bottom line, he said they expect to have the results "shortly."  i pressed him on that, and basically he told me that if i'm calling him again in a month that i "have a right to be pissed off".   one thing that sort of pissed me off though was i asked about how much administrative stuff would have to happen between their getting the results and mailing out notices.  he said that should just take a week.  but, he also said that they were working on finalizing the letters that go out to the test takers.  you'd think that they would have done that months ago!!  arg.  stupid patent office.  anyway, so bottom line, hopefully the first of us will start getting our results by the end of the month or so.  hopefully passing scores, because i don't want to deal with this crap again.

BenL

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 09-16-04 at 06:20 pm »

In response to Dave...

I would recommend taking the patent bar at the east 42nd street location.  I took it there 6+ weeks ago.  I definitely had problems with the MPEP, but I don't think it had anything to do with the testing center.  

They have modern computers, a fairly helpful staff, and it's quiet.  I was told by Prometric that the east 42nd street location is their main nyc location, so it is probably the largest one around.  

esar

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 09-19-04 at 07:16 pm »

Where can I obtain a MPEP pdf searchable by chapter?

Otto

« Reply #63 on: 09-19-04 at 11:29 pm »

You can download the chapters of the latest version individually at
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/index.html

the USPTO exam is currently based on the previous version of the MPEP (Edition 8, Rev. 1).  that is available at
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/indexold.htm

The PDF versions ar ete way to go- that's pretty much what you'll be using (albeit with a slightly different interface than Adobe Acrobat Reader) for the exam.

Dave B.

« Reply #64 on: 09-20-04 at 12:43 pm »

I think you can get a better simulation of the MPEP search function if you stick with Acrobat version 5.1 or less, which have a "Find" function. In Acrobat version 6, the "Find" was replaced with a more powerful "Search" function, which finds all instances of the target phrase in one step. I believe the MPEP search function provided in the exam is closer to "Find", so if you have upgraded to Acrobat 6 or higher, you may want to downgrade to 5.1 or less when taking simulated exams. You can download old versions of Acrobat from Adobe's website:

http://www.adobe.com

And yes you can get separate MPEP PDF chapters from the PTO website.

If anyone knows how to better simulate the MPEP search function actually available during the exam, please post.

Thanks.

Retaker

« Reply #65 on: 09-22-04 at 02:15 pm »

anyone from the first round of takers find out their score yet? How many weeks has it been??????

S James

« Reply #66 on: 09-28-04 at 04:20 pm »

Has anybody gotten an update from the PTO concerning the results of the exam?  I tried today and spoke to a woman who told me they have not mailed out any results yet and did not know when they would start to mail them.  She then transferred me to the Director, but I got his voicemail.  Has anybody had better luck getting more info from these people??  Aren't we in the middle of week nine for the people who took the test in July?  So much for the six week quote they gave us...

BenL

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 09-28-04 at 06:01 pm »

I have talked to a few people at the USPTO and have been told that "results will definitely be available before the end of the year."  But, they are hoping to start sending them out before thanksgiving.  

Iris Mok

« Reply #68 on: 09-28-04 at 10:21 pm »

I talked the same women and she couldn't tell me anything about how much longer it will take.  It's frustrating that it took so long to get the exam result. This beats the reason why they offer the computer exam in the first place.  If we can't get our result till 6 months later.  What's the point of having computer exams and the rule that you can take it every 60 days?

David Givens

« Reply #69 on: 09-29-04 at 07:47 am »

I just spoke with William Moatz, the Director of OED this morning (9/29/04).

He said that they are validating the results, that they will send out the results as soon as that is done, that results will be in writing, and that they do not yet have a date.  Then he said, "That is all I am going to say."  

I raised the possibility of sending out results first for those whose raw scores are 70 or above (and so whose pass/fail result would not be changed by credit given for poorly vetted questions, etc.)  

Mr. Moatz then repeated  "That is all I am going to say,"  and our conversation was over.

This is maddening frustrating, though not too surprising given the delays in starting testing at all.   The bureacratic incentives are clearly not the same as for those of us needing these results to get a job.

It would at least have been more forthcoming, respectful and helpful for those of us trying to make plans if the PTO had put up a notice on the website to let people know of the delay.

M N. Patel

« Reply #70 on: 09-29-04 at 09:29 am »

1.  Does anyone have reading material for the new exam which they can either give or sale?

2.  Any good locations to take the exam in Central New Jersey?

3.  Which chapters aprat from 2100, 700, 600, PCT, appeal and reexamination to be prepared for more?

Thanks a lot.

Mukul

Marc

« Reply #71 on: 09-29-04 at 10:30 am »

Hello all:

I'm trying to determine the most effective strategies for studying for the patent bar. I do not have a legal background.

I have been reviewing the answers to the last 5 patent bar exams. However, from what several individuals have reported,  most of the questions on the current exams are NOT repeats of old questions.

So is it correct to assume that the only way one has a decent chance of passing is to be so completely familiar with the MPEP that one could look up an answer to any question within a few minutes?  

If this assumption is correct, is it feasible to pass the exam by studying the MPEP about 2 hours per day for about 3 months, in addition to memorizing the last 500 exam answers?  

During the exam, if its not practical to use the search function to find the answers in the MPEP, will using the Index suffice?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Jonathan

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: 09-29-04 at 01:31 pm »

Yes, each new exam is mostly that - new. Of course, there usually are a good number of questions that are similar. That being said, those questions typically deal with areas of the MPEP that one should just know cold. These include (readers: please chime in with areas I may miss here) calculating due dates of various responses, multiple dependent claim questions, fee due dates - maintenance and issue and others, PCT related questions, determining priority dates, extension fees - when they kick in etc, continuation application practice, determining what 102 section to apply given a filing date and a reference date, requirements for securing a filing date.
Don't bother memorizing old exams, instead concentrate on understanding the underlying concept.

By being able to confidently and quickly answer the easier shorter questions, you can free up alot of time to concentate on those multi-paragraph, fact dependent questions.

I have not taken the new online test (don't need to cause I passed several years ago), but from what I have read I would offer the following advice. Since test takers can no longer bring their own aids to the test, it sounds like it is even more essential to know the various chapter headings. In that regard, the intro page to each chapter of the MPEP could be quite valuable to quickly finding specific information in a chapter. Personally, I find the MPEP index mediocre at best and often need to look things up under various names before I locate the info I know is in there but just can't recall the exact section.

You indicate that you do not have a legal background, so I would not recommend merely studying the MPEP and taking old tests. You may find it worthwhile to purchase some sort of home study program to assist you. I used the program by patbar.com a few years ago and found it useful - http://www.patbar.com/ . I am sure there are other vendors out there but I am not familiar with them. Try googling 'patent bar review' to get a list.

Good luck in your efforts and don't get discouraged if you don't pass the first time! It is a hard test and you will much more prepared the second time around if it comes to that..
« Last Edit: 09-29-04 at 01:59 pm by jkudla »

Amith Shah

« Reply #73 on: 09-29-04 at 06:55 pm »

Where can I obtain a MPEP pdf searchable by chapter?

This page has a link to a full-text searchable MPEP edition 8 revision 1. The site also provides Patent Bar Exam Software for practicing with the previous 9 exams.

Bibi

« Reply #74 on: 10-03-04 at 02:41 pm »

I started studying kayton's home study course and then had to stop for the last 2 months due to personal issues. Now I am starting again with a tentative december exam in mind. For those who are preparing now:

1. My layton's material is from october 2002. Do you think I need to buy new material for the newer exam? Given that only few people have taken the new test, how much updated would the new material be anyway?

2. Other than Kayton's material (or ny other homestudy course)  and the prior exam papers , what else are you studying?

3. Kayton's material has 2000 Qs which cover all from past exams. Also, how are you practicing looking up MPEP? Do you downloas all the pdfs and then for each Q, try to search the answer from MPEP.

Thanks for your help
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 173

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.