Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 173

Author Topic: New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric  (Read 914741 times)

John Watts

Re: New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric
« Reply #15 on: 07-30-04 at 02:02 pm »

I think this new exam will have one of the lowest passing rates in recent memory....

After they fix the MPEP issues, I think the exam will be much more manageable....my advice is to wait a couple weeks until all the bugs get worked out...\\

I'm crossing my fingers and praying i passed....

Scott Evans

« Reply #16 on: 07-30-04 at 05:38 pm »

I agree.  If the pass rate exceeds 40% I will be amazed.  Shoot one my way and I'll say one for you.  Good luck.

zb35160

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07-31-04 at 01:23 pm »

Scott and John, can you guys help address these couple of q's?  Thanks!

Did the level of difficulty seem to be the same in the AM vs. PM?

Was majority of the q's fairly short and not fact-pattern based?

Were there still a lot of q's from chapter 700 and 2100?

How about the number of repeats?

John Watts

« Reply #18 on: 07-31-04 at 05:51 pm »

No 2 questions use the same fact pattern...AM and PM seemed to be about equal difficulty....I am sure that questions are selected from a question bank so the difficulty of the AM/PM sections is irrelevent and will vary test to test...and if you just know 700 and 2100 you will not get more than 35% of the questions correct....my exam was heavy on PCT/PTO officials/biotechnology/appeal chapters...which is nothing like preceding exams...  again they probably have a question bank of about 300 questions so your exam may be nothing like my exam...

BenL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-02-04 at 04:11 pm »

I just took the exam.  I was given a fairly new computer, but it still couldn't handle the MPEP "find again" function.  Every time I searched a key word and then hit "find again" to find the next occurence, my computer crashed.  The first time, it took them 45 minutes to recover my data.  After 3 times, they said that I should reschedule my test, or avoid using "find again."  

As far as the content, it was definitely different than past exams.  I had many PCT questions, and even a chapter 900 question on how the examiners search for prior art.  Although, I would guess that I had 10 to 15 repeat questions from old exams.

I would probably recommend waiting at least a few weeks before the bugs are worked out.  Good luck!

Otto

« Reply #20 on: 08-03-04 at 10:48 am »

My thanks to those of you who have been providing a heads-up of what to expect on the new USPTO exam- especially with respect to the lousy online MPEP.  This is of extreme interest to me, as I sent my application off to the PTO last week.

After reading your posts and also talking to a friend whose colleague had just taken the exam and reported having problems with the search function on the MPEP, I decided to call the OED and ask them about it- I just finished said call about three minutes ago.

I was told that they DO know about the issues, they are working on them,  and they do not know exactly when the issue will be resolved.  Not the most useful information, but at least we now know they are very aware of the problem.

Iris Mok

« Reply #21 on: 08-03-04 at 03:00 pm »

I just finished my exam today.  Due to all the problems I heard from the postings, I did not use the search function, but merely search the portions that I felt was relevant.  The viewer was very easy to use and very fast on the computer I used. I like the fact that I can line up the viewer along with question so I can compare to the answers.  Kudos to prometric.
As to the exam, I felt that it was harder than the previous exams.  I also do not have a lot of repeat questions compared to some of the older exams.  I encounter alot of PCT, reexam, Appeal, 102/103 and assignments.  I only have one PTO official related question and no biotech questions.  Also, the second part of the exam is harder for me than the first part of the exam.  I didn't have quite as much time to review it.  However, I do like the mark and review mark function.  I wish we can get real time score though. Hope this will help future test takers.
Iris  ;)

Tom Briscoe

« Reply #22 on: 08-03-04 at 04:01 pm »

The demo shows MPEP chapter 500.

Are all chapters of the MPEP available? (as show at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/)

Specifically, is the MPEP index one of the selectable chapters?

Tom Briscoe

« Reply #23 on: 08-03-04 at 04:09 pm »

Also what about the appendices? L, R, etc.

BenL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-03-04 at 07:02 pm »

From what I remember, the complete MPEP is available.   The laws and rules were definitely there.  Not sure about the index.
« Last Edit: 08-03-04 at 07:03 pm by BenL »

Iris

« Reply #25 on: 08-05-04 at 07:30 am »

Yes, index was the last choice.

John Watts

« Reply #26 on: 08-05-04 at 10:27 am »

Everything in the MPEP was 'available' including indexes, apendicies, and even some PCT articles and court decisions if you looked closely enough....

The questions being more difficult than previous exams, the inability to take notes, markups, etc. into the exam, and the inadequte ability to search/view the MPEP is going to make it very difficult for the first batch of test takers to pass...I could see myself getting as little as 7 wrong and as much as 40 wrong...its difficult to tell since I was unable to verify my answer with the MPEP during the exam w/o it frreezing...

Anyways, results hopefully will be sent as promised (2 weeks after your test date).  Good Luck to all...

J. Watts

David Givens

« Reply #27 on: 08-05-04 at 11:18 am »

John,

In your first posting on the new exam, you mentioned that you are supposed to get the results in 2 weeks.  I have been hearing 6 weeks but would be very glad to get results earlier.  (I took the test July 28.)  Where did you hear the 2-week target?

Many thanks,

David Givens

Darius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 08-05-04 at 12:37 pm »

For those who took the exam or are doing practice exams...

It seems to me that I've been finishing 3 hour practice exam segments in about 2 hours, which includes time spent using a PDF MPEP version i got from my home study course.

The main reason for this is because of the abundancy of reused questions that I've seen before which I answer in about 20 seconds.

Do any of you who took the exam feel like most of their test questions were brand new and therefore time consuming?

And I think the questions was asked before, did test takers experience that they were getting straight foward rule based questions such as "which is not in accordance with USPTO practice..." or were fact pattern based story type questions common as well?

I plan to take this exam right before school starts, so August 20. Anyone think it would be prudent to put this off before the kinks are worked out of the system or just to get it over with?

Thanks!

Jahn Watts

« Reply #29 on: 08-05-04 at 05:59 pm »

If you participated in the optional survey at the end of the exam it stated that you should receive your results in 2 weeks, not 6.  I also asked the Prometric personnel and the notes they have on the exam also states that scores will be mailed in 2 weeks after taking the exam..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 173

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.