Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New registrations are now permitted.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 173

Author Topic: New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric  (Read 670586 times)

John Watts

New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric
« on: 07-26-04 at 11:26 pm »

Any1 else take the new patent bar exam.  I took it today and it seemed *much* more difficult than the previous exams.  I only missed 5 questions on the oct 2003 exam w/o using the MPEP...I think I would be lucky to pass this new exam....it was heavily focused on obscure PCT facts, had some strictly biotech questions regarding sequence listings that I though was off-limits, and completely missed the traditional core concepts....not many repeats and quite of few question seemed to be poorly written....

The searchable MPEP seemed to freeze while keyword searching, making it near impossible to locate the answers to the obscure questions in the MPEP in the time allotted...

I'm hoping I just got a hard version of the exam....any1 else take it yet?  Supposedly I will find out if I passed in 2 weeks....

Ben L

Re: New Patent Bar Online Exam - Prometric
« Reply #1 on: 07-27-04 at 07:47 pm »

I'm scheduled to take the exam on August 2nd.  I'm a little more nervous after reading your comments.  

Do you suggest that I study the PCT and biotech sections with my remaining 5 days?  How many questions do you think related to PCT and/or biotech?

zb35160

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-28-04 at 08:50 am »

John, thanks for sharing your experience.  Can you help address a couple more q's that will be beneficial for us soon-to-be test takers?

Did the level of difficulty seem to be the same in the AM vs. PM?

Was majority of the q's fairly short and not fact-pattern based?

Were there still a lot of q's from chapter 700 and 2100?

Did the searchable MPEP allow you to search within a particular chapter?

Thanks!

Isaac

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-28-04 at 06:20 pm »

When I took the patent bar exam in April 2003, I noticed that
there was an emphasis on PCT questions over old exams (back to 2000)
that I worked before taking the test.  I'm not surprised to
hear that the trend has continued.

The biotech stuff seems a little unfair, but some biotech
questions aren't really bio questions, just regular old
patent law using life science as the subject matter.
Isaac

Scott Evans

« Reply #4 on: 07-29-04 at 07:59 am »

I would have to agree with the previous post from Mr. Watts.  This was probably the most difficult test since the one administered in April 2001.  There was a heavy concentration on PCT-related material and they definitely reached up to some high, dusty shelves for some of the more obscure material.  It seemed like 102(e) also popped up a lot more than usual.  If the rumor about using all old questions is true, then most of those questions came from tests that were more than 5 years old.
One thing that made this test a nuisance was the online MPEP.  I also had a freeze up during a search, which ended up costing me about ten minutes.  My biggest complaint revolves around the computers at Prometric.  You would think that a company whose focus is COMPUTER-based testing would have equipment that is somewhat up-to-date.  The computer I was using looked like it was made in the mid-90s and the small, fuzzy monitor made reading the manual a chore.  The mouse didn't even have a scroll wheel, so manual searching took a lot longer than one would expect.  (I didn't dare use the search function again after my initial lockup)
My advice to test takers:
1. PCT - know it, especially deadlines
2. Find a college kid who is throwing out the desktop computer that they inherited from an older sibling and buy it from them for 50 bucks.  Take it home, smear some vaseline on the monitor and attach a couple of powerful magnets to the side.  Practice looking up things in the MPEP under these conditions to acclimate yourself to what you may see on test day.

ping yu

« Reply #5 on: 07-29-04 at 09:51 am »

Good morning! I am your new friend-Ping, a  student.  I am planning to take this examination, but how can I get one copy of test in 2004 and how you think to pass this examination help you morr job opportunities?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Ping

blogtim

• View Profile
Improving on Prometric
« Reply #6 on: 07-29-04 at 10:52 am »

The test questions are fixed, but having taken the test, do you have any recommendations (besides the old computer) on how the interface could be improved?  How was the interface anyway?

Scott Evans

« Reply #7 on: 07-29-04 at 12:50 pm »

I suppose I used a bit of hyperbole in my last posting, but the interface could definitely be improved.  These would be my suggestions:
1. Barring a separate monitor to look up the MPEP, it would be nice to have at least a 17" screen and the ability to split-screen the test and the MPEP.  As you know, there are a lot of list-based questions that require you to check the given answers against requirements for submissions.  Right now, you're forced to find the correct section of the MPEP, then flip back and forth between the test and manual to make comparisons.  The alternative is copying the list manually.  You can reduce the size of the MPEP window and move it around, but that makes it unbearably difficult to read and still takes time.
2. The MPEP was pretty grainy on screen and hard on the eyes, which begins to take its toll after the first two hours.  If they're going to make everyone look up stuff electronically, they need to fix the "find" function.  My computer locked up during a search in the first hour of the exam and needed to be rebooted.  I didn't dare use the search function for the rest of the test.  Personally, I would love to see Prometric ante up for a few paper copies of the MPEP and give you the option of using that.  I realize this is probably not Prometric's call and that the logistics would be a pain because of the threat that people would mark them up, but I would think there would be a way to work around that.  (perhaps giving people the option to purchase a $20 throwaway paperback version)
3. continued in next post

BenL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-29-04 at 01:21 pm »

Scott,
Are you able to skip questions and/or mark questions to return to?  Also, is the MPEP searchable in its entirety as one pdf, or by chapter?

I'm taking the test at the main prometrics in New York City.  I called them this morning and they assured me that all their computers are fairly new.  But, I will be the first one taking it at their site, so they are not aware of problems with the MPEP, yet.  

Scott Evans

« Reply #9 on: 07-29-04 at 01:56 pm »

3. Prometric needs to get mice with the scroll wheel.  Since the search function torpedoed my computer, I was forced to scroll around quite a bit to find specific topics.  Using the sliding scroll bars for this is a nuisance.

Sidenote tip:  The scroll bar for the table of contents is the disappearing kind that only shows up when you move your mouse over the right edge of the column for a couple of seconds.  Perhaps someone more computer savvy would have recognized that right away, but I didn't.  I was forced to scroll through many pages to get to the proper section until I found this out.  When I realized the scroll was there, I felt like a real dimwit.  I only hope others may learn from my ignorance.

blogtim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-29-04 at 01:58 pm »

That's really annoying.  Scott, was the manual in chapters or in one big pdf?
« Last Edit: 07-29-04 at 01:58 pm by blogtim »

BenL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-29-04 at 02:27 pm »

This link might help answer many of our questions...

http://www.prometric.com/demos/uspto/starthere.htm

I just found this link through google.  I don't know why the USPTO or Prometrics didn't publicize this.
« Last Edit: 07-29-04 at 02:29 pm by BenL »

blogtim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-29-04 at 10:28 pm »

I went through the sample exam... or actually, I went through the tutorial.  At the end of the tutorial, it redirected me to a page which I assumed would have normally been the test (or the sample test).  Instead, I got:

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.prometric.com home page.

You can click  Search to look for information on the Internet.

---

I can just see this happening for the real thing.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer  

Scott Evans

« Reply #13 on: 07-30-04 at 06:32 am »

The MPEP is searchable by chapter.  It is also broken down by section and subsection after you enter each chapter.

You can can mark questions for later review, which is a nice feature.  At any time during the test you can hit the "Review" button and see which questions you have marked and whether there are any you haven't answered yet.  With all of my whining about the online MPEP, I failed to give Prometric credit for the actual test setup, which is actually straightforward and relatively user-friendly.

Scott Evans

« Reply #14 on: 07-30-04 at 06:37 am »

You can also skip questions, but I preferred to make a quick guess and mark the question for review.  That way if there isn't enough time to get back to it, you don't have to worry about inadvertantly leaving a question unanswered.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 173

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.