Is sharing music with a substitute for the purpose of practicing legal?

Started by steven8579, 10-19-20 at 07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steven8579

I'm developing an app where musicians look for work and take jobs from a database. I want to implement a feature where the person that posts a job is able to share the music for the gig with the sub so they can practice. The music would be available after the substitute agrees to do the job until the job is complete. Is this against copyright? If so what can I do to make this copyright compliant? As the developer/manager of the app, would I be responsible for what the musicians post or is the musician posting the music the responsible party? If you can list any suggestions I would be very grateful :)

Thanks,
Steven

Robert T Nicholson

The person producing the event needs to purchase or license copies of the music for each performer.  If they make and distribute copies without appropriate licenses, it would be a violation og copyright law.

If your app is using a central database, you should qualify for protection as an online service provider (OSP), provided you fully comply with the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.("DMCA").
This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Robert Nicholson Consulting | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com