Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Does anyone know when the started issuing Registration Numbers  (Read 1243 times)

dab2d

• View Profile

I am working on a presentation and trying to figure out when the patent office started requiring registration? Basically how many patent attorneys/agents have there ever been?

Nothing I post on this forum is legal advice.  You rely on anything I post at your own risk.  This post does not form an attorney client relationship between myself any person participating in this thread.

jeff.oneill

• View Profile
    • Patent Bots
    • Email

I don't know that exactly, but I can tell you that this is the earliest registration listed on the USPTO website:
    https://oedci.uspto.gov/OEDCI/practitionerDetails?regisNum=14853

This attorney registered in 1940.

I don't know if and how the USPTO prunes the rolls, but I suspect many listed attorneys are no longer with us...
www.patentbots.com
Automated patent proofreading and examiner statistics

dab2d

• View Profile

Thanks for the info.... I think it did some pruning in 2012? If I remember correctly, you had to respond to something from the office

I am assuming that it had to be a patent act of some sort that created the registration system.
Nothing I post on this forum is legal advice.  You rely on anything I post at your own risk.  This post does not form an attorney client relationship between myself any person participating in this thread.

abc123

• View Profile

If the PTO gets their way and is allowed to charge yearly bar dues ($240 or $410, depending on whether they are paid electronically with a cle certificate) you might see lots of pruning of the practitioner roles.

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile

It was sometime in the '30s.  Everybody who received a number in the first few years they were issued is assuredly dead.  The exact date could probably be pinned down with some access to the Journal of the Patent Office Society, via HeinOnline, for example.
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile

on March 12, 1934, Commissioner Coe signed an order amending Rule 17 of the Rules to Practice in the United States Patent Office to require that every person entitled to represent patentees before the Patent Office first pass a written examination.[70]

[70]Comm’r of Patents, Order No. 3,206, printed in 440 OFFICIAL GAZ. 781 (Mar. 27, 1934).  Amended Rule 17 was also published in the Patent Office Society’s journal.  See Examinations Required for Registration of Patent Attorneys, 16 J. PAT. OFF. SOC’Y 359, 359–60 (1934).

Christi Guerrini, The Decline of the Patent Registration Exam, 91 Neb. L. Rev. (2013), available at https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/nlr/vol91/iss2/3
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile

I don't know that exactly, but I can tell you that this is the earliest registration listed on the USPTO website:
    https://oedci.uspto.gov/OEDCI/practitionerDetails?regisNum=14853

This attorney registered in 1940.

I don't know if and how the USPTO prunes the rolls, but I suspect many listed attorneys are no longer with us...

BTW the Mr. Ewbank you point to died six years ago.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/article/20120408/OBITUARIES/304089902

Toot Aps Esroh

• View Profile
    • Email

To your question of "how many ever", if one assumes the first person was reg.no 1, then there have been 77777 over all time.

Seems strange and fun that the most recently registered agent was 77777, but that's what I'm finding at OED.  She should call herself "Lucky PentaSeven" or "Sevens" or some such.

(Aside for other oldsters here, this makes me I wonder how "Sixes" is doing... )
I got nothing to say here.  Y'alls all already know all this.

Le tigre n'a pas mangé la pellicule de plastique.

Toot Aps Esroh

• View Profile
    • Email

Thanks for finding this.  (edit: "this" is the obit Robert provided)

Interesting that he ran his firm until age 92.  Some folks just don't know when to quit!

Obit's wrong as to either DOB or age at death by 5 years.

« Last Edit: 01-18-19 at 03:20 pm by Toot Aps Esroh »

JV

• View Profile

(Aside for other oldsters here, this makes me I wonder how "Sixes" is doing... )

I'm connected to Jeff on LinkedIn.  Seems like he's doing well - he's still in-house at a bio company, Director of IP.  I don't know if he still frequents this forum.

...not sure how I feel about being called an oldster!

Toot Aps Esroh

• View Profile
    • Email

Cool, thanks for the info. 

As for "oldster", hey, that's just a state of mind, neighbor.   ;)

Or more directly, I was just thinking about people who've been around at least since 2010 or so when he quit posting.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 44.061 seconds with 21 queries.