Can someone pay to have a T-Shirt printed with

Started by tvm, 08-14-18 at 12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvm

Can someone pay to have a T-Shirt printed with a picture that they have of themselves and a member of a band and/or music group? The picture was taken at an event and was a FREE picture of the music group.

MYK

Is this a one-off for personal use, or something that is going to be used commercially?

Who took the photo?

If it was a selfie with the band, and you're just making the shirt for yourself, then you are likely ok.

If some other photographer took it, then that photographer is the copyright owner.  If you're selling it commercially, then you have to worry about the band's publicity rights.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

tvm

Quote from: MYK on 08-15-18 at 12:12 AM
Is this a one-off for personal use, or something that is going to be used commercially?

Who took the photo?

If it was a selfie with the band, and you're just making the shirt for yourself, then you are likely ok.

If some other photographer took it, then that photographer is the copyright owner.  If you're selling it commercially, then you have to worry about the band's publicity rights.
I am not sure. (I saw someone else do this). But It raised my curiosity. I *think* it was a picture that was taken from the fans cell phone. But then was submitted to a small printing business to be put on a t-shirt along with the band's name. But then this printer used the shirt to post on their FB page showing off how they can do shirts with your own image of a band and/or members.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com