Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: USPTO slow to scan FAXes and include them in the system  (Read 396 times)

Art1

• View Profile

I FAXed response to an office action but 2 days later the response is still not in the PAIR and examiner says that nothing has been entered into the system.
How long does it take for USPTO to scan FAXes and enter them into the system?
« Last Edit: 05-11-18 at 05:14 am by Art1 »

snapshot

• View Profile
Re: USPTO slow to scan FAXes and include them in the system
« Reply #1 on: 05-11-18 at 10:48 am »

That usually should happen pretty quickly, but most everyone whose applications I examine these days uses e-file.

Did you have a typo in the application number on your document?  I've seen that happen before and it winds up in the wrong application as a result.

Might want to give the customer service line a call.

Art1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-11-18 at 11:33 am »

The customer service said that it may take up to 6 business days for them to enter faxed documents into the system.
I guess they haven't discovered computerized faxing as of yet :-)
« Last Edit: 05-11-18 at 12:57 pm by Art1 »

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-11-18 at 11:57 am »

The customer service said that it may take up to 6 business days for them to enter faxed documents into the system.
I guess they haven't discovered computerized faxing as of yet :-)
Examiner faxing is all computerized.  Not sure what the central fax is.  But the point is manpower.  The PTO is short-staffed on the people that do this kind of stuff.  Lately it's been taking several weeks for RCEs and amendments to show up on my docket, when it used to happen in a matter of days.  YOU (the Applicant) can control that, though, by e-filing instead of faxing.  Yes, you have the option for both, but now you know that e-filing will be immediate, and faxing . . . not so much.  I forget, do they still have the walk-up window where you can paper file?  They added a surcharge, but did they end up closing that option?  Too lazy to look it up . . .
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

Art1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-11-18 at 01:06 pm »

Isn't this amazing that government spends more and more money every year and their offices are always short on staff.
The government wastes 51 cents on each dollar (see GALLUP Gov't Wastes 51 Cents on the Dollar).
« Last Edit: 05-11-18 at 01:10 pm by Art1 »

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-11-18 at 03:29 pm »

Isn't this amazing that government spends more and more money every year and their offices are always short on staff.
The government wastes 51 cents on each dollar (see GALLUP Gov't Wastes 51 Cents on the Dollar).
I think that part of the reason they are short on staff is that it is a pretty boring yet demanding job, pays crap, fed workers are currently being threatened with pay and benefit cuts, and you have to live in DC for the job.  Not many people can make a career of that kind of work, and the government hiring takes FOREVER, so it's hard to handle turnover, and the people that stay aren't generally your star performers.
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

Spider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-16-18 at 05:20 pm »

What is this "fax" thing of which you speak?  ;D

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.