Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: IP / Copyright for Product Pictures  (Read 120 times)

IntelPropLawServerUser352

• View Profile
IP / Copyright for Product Pictures
« on: 05-09-18 at 10:58 am »

Hello, I'm starting a website that sells concessions food for small stadiums/sports events. Some of the items I will be selling will be things like cans of Coca Cola, bottles of Gatorade, Frito Lays, etc.

My question is; what is the IP law for going on the internet, getting "for Reuse" pictures of these products on Google images, and using them on my website to sell these products at or before sporting events.

I have decided to with hold a picture of what it will look like, because I don't want to infringe on copyright.

How 'allowed' is this for using pictures of products to sell those products at a sports event, without explicit consent from the company? If I absolutely need explicit consent, does anyone know the best way to go about getting it? What type of proposal is required?

Thank you!

Robert T Nicholson

• View Profile
    • Robert Nicholson Consulting
    • Email
Re: IP / Copyright for Product Pictures
« Reply #1 on: 05-09-18 at 01:31 pm »

It's fine to show photos of products you are actually selling, as long as you don't imply any sponsorship or affiliation with the company that owns the trademark.

As for those "for reuse" photos...  I never use them.  When you see this designation, it indicates that somebody uploaded the photo and said it was OK to reuse it.  But you have no way of knowing if that person actually owned the photos.

I either:

(1)  buy photos from a reputable stock house, or

(2)  get photos from the company itself (i.e., does the Coke company have photos you can use?)

Whatever you decide, keep careful track of where you got EVERY photo you use.  In the event that someone sues you for a copyright infringement, you can at least improve that it was not an intentional violation, which can mitigate damages.

This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Robert Nicholson Consulting | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.