Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: infringement does not easily equate with theft  (Read 232 times)

SonyisEvil

• View Profile
infringement does not easily equate with theft
« on: 05-06-18 at 08:30 pm »

I'd like to know why "infringement does not easily equate with theft"?  This quote came to my attention via a google search which I believe is connected to Dowling v. United States. Apparently this person was convicted but appealed in the supreme court.

Here is the snippet :  Since the statutorily defined property rights of a copyright holder have a character distinct from the possessory interest of the owner of simple "goods, wares, [or] merchandise," interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud.

Wiki says, "Dowling v. United States, 473 U.S. 207 (1985), was a United States Supreme Court case that discussed whether copies of copyrighted works could be regarded as stolen property for the purposes of a law which criminalized the interstate transportation of property that had been "stolen, converted or taken by fraud".

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: infringement does not easily equate with theft
« Reply #1 on: 05-07-18 at 01:57 am »

If you had bothered to read the Wikipedia article, the very next sentence of the quote explains that.

Since the statutorily defined property rights of a copyright holder have a character distinct from the possessory interest of the owner of simple "goods, wares, [or] merchandise," interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The infringer of a copyright does not assume physical control over the copyright nor wholly deprive its owner of its use. Infringement implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

SonyisEvil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-07-18 at 07:28 pm »

Obviously I did otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.... You are not the person I am looking for. Your IQ is too low.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-07-18 at 10:15 pm »

Obviously I did otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.... You are not the person I am looking for. Your IQ is too low.
And yet I can understand what the judge meant, while you claim it's too hard.  If you can't understand simple English sentences, I'd say you're the one who reads coloring books for the exciting and complex plots.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.