Another burnout

Started by ficfre, 04-25-18 at 09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ficfre

Considering possibly transitioning into something else in the next couple of years. Just want something easier/less stress. Monkey-work sounds really good atm.

Have been through many (voluntary) changes lately (good ones, but still) and I'd say ~65% burnout is due to that and not the job itself...so eventually once things stabilize I might decide to stay where I am.

My main requirement is location independence. Know of many location-independent CPAs.  Apparently in some states you can get admitted to CPA exam with just 15 accounting credits. Does anyone know any patent attorneys turned CPA?

Any other ideas? TIA

smgsmc

If you do strictly patent prosecution, there are firms that will let you work remotely.  Or are you fed up with patent prosecution?

ficfre

Ah yeah forgot to mention, I do currently work remotely. It's the prosecution work I'm fed up with :)

abc123

How about another area of law? Or maybe some type of work you have always wanted to do? For the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would
want to become an accountant other than job security. Which is fine, but there is a reason why there are lots of great accounting jokes out there.
Seems like you would just be trading one eye shade for another.

fewyearsin

Quote from: abc123 on 04-25-18 at 11:43 PM
How about another area of law? Or maybe some type of work you have always wanted to do? For the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would
want to become an accountant other than job security. Which is fine, but there is a reason why there are lots of great accounting jokes out there.
Seems like you would just be trading one eye shade for another.
This.  You're trading one boring job for possibly the only more boring job on the planet.  I'd give yourself a bit more time in prosecution (maybe a year) and see if you can't find a different firm or different type of technology within prosecution or maybe focus on appeals or IPR or find some other area that still makes use of the skills you spent years developing.
This comment does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts. I'm willing to learn, let me know if you think I'm wrong. Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions.

abc123

Quote from: fewyearsin on 04-26-18 at 12:06 AM
or different type of technology

Same is true of patent examining. If you get in a rut, it is often a good idea to change arts. For example, I would think the AI art would have lots of cases pending, and would be fairly interesting. And most people can probably make the switch after some self-study.

Tobmapsatonmi

To answer the question in the OP, I do not know anyone who's gone from patent prosecution to accounting.  I do have a couple of CPA friends who (from bits dropped here and there) don't make anything near what a similarly successful patent attorney does.

What about in-house prospects? 

Patent pros is still part of my job, but it's maybe 20-35% of it.  It's a lot more interesting in-house if you get embedded with the R&D, project and commercial teams and get to know the business sides of things.
Any/all disclaimers you see on this forum used by members more experienced and/or smarter than I, are hereby incorporated by reference as if fully set forth herein.

I'm doing well as of 08-09-18 @ 18:38 hours, and regret only not getting that 1000th post. Hope all are doing well indeed! Thanks!

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com