Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: phone photos at book store  (Read 516 times)

cambium0

• View Profile
phone photos at book store
« on: 04-16-18 at 02:41 pm »

Can you take a photo of pages in a book at a bookstore?  Could you then store that photo in another app in your phone and use it personally but never share it with anyone else?

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: phone photos at book store
« Reply #1 on: 04-16-18 at 04:34 pm »

People have been photocopying pages of books for decades.  It's obviously infringing, but if it's for your own personal use only, it's not like anyone will catch you.  See also: libraries, "fair use".
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Toot Aps Esroh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 04-16-18 at 07:19 pm »

I suppose the book store owner could toss you out for "using" the book without buying it... but that's not a copyright issue.

cambium0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-17-18 at 02:06 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't really know what I was asking until I wrote this post, then i used it to search online.  The response was similar.  There is a bit in the opening pages of most books "All rights reserved.  ... No part of this book can be reproduced ... " etc.  That pretty much cinches it.  Nobody will catch me, and probably nobody will catch my app users, but I don't think I can state in the copy that this is something they could do.  I could hint at it though.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-18-18 at 05:22 am »

Nobody will catch me, and probably nobody will catch my app users, but I don't think I can state in the copy that this is something they could do.  I could hint at it though.
Well, now you're changing things.  Perhaps most obviously, "my app".  What's the purpose of an app for taking photos of books?  People can already do that with the built-in camera in their phones.

So, your app must have some other purpose beyond merely "oh here's a quote I like, I think I'll save it" or "I want to make a really crappy cellphone photo of this month's Playboy centerfold".  Tagging and organizing photos?  Well, maybe ok, but it seems oddly specific to be writing an app that you think is going to be used in bookstores.  So I'm guessing there's something else going on.  And I'm going to mention the term "facilitating copyright infringement", which is what past federal criminal copyright infringement actions were taken against in such products as Napster, Limewire, eDonkey, MegaDownloads. . . .
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.