Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: BS in physics interested in patent agent  (Read 2032 times)

Lighamus

• View Profile
BS in physics interested in patent agent
« on: 12-11-17 at 12:21 am »

I have been curious about trying to get a job as a patent agent of late.  I've no real experience in the field and am a recent graduate with a Bachelors in physics and Minor in Chemistry.  If I were to take a pass the exam, what is the job prognosis of someone with my qualifications?  From what I've read it seems that having a Physics BS is enough but I do not quite understand how you get your first year of experience really.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: BS in physics interested in patent agent
« Reply #1 on: 12-11-17 at 03:25 am »

From what I've heard, EE and CS are the degrees that firms are pursuing, along with some biotech (usually requires a Ph.D.).  If you look on PatentlyO.com for the job ads, you can get an idea of the market.

Physics is sufficient to take the exam, but may not be desirable enough to get you hired.  If you had a specific focus such as semiconductors, that might get you in at a firm with a lot of business in that field.

There are sometimes opportunities overseas (Japan, Taiwan, evil China, South Korea) if you don't mind the working environment which can be awful at some such firms.  Varies from "just get your work done" to "twelve hour days and then go out drinking with your coworkers until you barf, punishment for being ten seconds late on clock-in, and insane workload".  A guy I knew at one firm quit because he was expected to work a full normal day shift and then deal with USPTO phone interviews "on his own time" from roughly 10pm to 7am.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-11-17 at 07:50 pm »

I have been curious about trying to get a job as a patent agent of late.  I've no real experience in the field and am a recent graduate with a Bachelors in physics and Minor in Chemistry.  If I were to take a pass the exam, what is the job prognosis of someone with my qualifications?  From what I've read it seems that having a Physics BS is enough but I do not quite understand how you get your first year of experience really.
Here is my previous response on this topic:

http://www.intelproplaw.com/ip_forum/index.php/topic,29753.msg137376.html#msg137376

snapshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-11-17 at 08:26 pm »

From what I've heard, EE and CS are the degrees that firms are pursuing, along with some biotech (usually
There are sometimes opportunities overseas (Japan, Taiwan, evil China, South Korea) if you don't mind the working environment which can be awful at some such firms.  Varies from "just get your work done" to "twelve hour days and then go out drinking with your coworkers until you barf, punishment for being ten seconds late on clock-in, and insane workload".  A guy I knew at one firm quit because he was expected to work a full normal day shift and then deal with USPTO phone interviews "on his own time" from roughly 10pm to 7am.

That sounds literally insane.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-12-17 at 12:52 am »

There are sometimes opportunities overseas (Japan, Taiwan, evil China, South Korea) if you don't mind the working environment which can be awful at some such firms. 
Are these firms hiring newbies though?  I've seen ads from overseas firms for experienced US patent agents or attorneys to handle US patent prosecution.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-13-18 at 06:50 am »

Welcome to Asia.  You should see how they drive.

Are these firms hiring newbies though?  I've seen ads from overseas firms for experienced US patent agents or attorneys to handle US patent prosecution.
Hey, they hired me. . . .
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

mbrooke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 03-05-18 at 08:16 pm »

I have a B.S. in Physics and have been a primary examiner and in practice for 20 some years. I cannot find a job now. I have had lots of interviews, but no takers. The response I usually get is we like you and you have great patent experience, but the client didn't like you because you don't have actual industry or engineering type experience. This is a real issue now. Firms are looking for people that have actual experience dealing with specific technology. I would definitely play up the chemistry and come up with a good sell why the combination of physics and chemistry makes you unique and valuable.

Mike

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-05-18 at 11:27 pm »

I have a B.S. in Physics and have been a primary examiner and in practice for 20 some years. I cannot find a job now. I have had lots of interviews, but no takers. The response I usually get is we like you and you have great patent experience, but the client didn't like you because you don't have actual industry or engineering type experience. This is a real issue now. Firms are looking for people that have actual experience dealing with specific technology. I would definitely play up the chemistry and come up with a good sell why the combination of physics and chemistry makes you unique and valuable.

Mike
A BS in physics with a minor in chemistry AND no work experience won't get your foot in the door.

abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-06-18 at 12:57 am »

From what I've heard, EE and CS are the degrees that firms are pursuing, along with some biotech (usually

There's no knowing what you will find at the origin of the Nung river.

mbrooke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 03-06-18 at 10:56 am »

Mike
A BS in physics with a minor in chemistry AND no work experience won't get your foot in the door.

I think you replied to the wrong person. I did not originate this thread.

mbrooke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 03-06-18 at 10:59 am »

One other thought is have you considered working as an Examiner?  The chem minor may make you more interesting to them than just the physics degree.

Mike

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-06-18 at 04:43 pm »

Mike

I think you replied to the wrong person. I did not originate this thread.
I was commenting on the advice you gave the OP.  You advised him to highlight the value of his combined knowledge of physics and chem.  His combined knowledge of physics and chem (BS in physics, minor in chem, no real-world experience) won't cut it. 

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.