Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Using "reimagined" Emblems/Logos  (Read 521 times)

erlo68

• View Profile
Using "reimagined" Emblems/Logos
« on: 03-12-18 at 09:13 am »

Hi, i recreate well known logos and emblems from games/series etc. as crystals in a 3D programm.

At some point i started animating them so they would turn in a circle and show the full glory of their mineral appearence.

I started making them for myself first, but a friend brought up the idea to sell them on the app-store as live-wallpapers.

So my question is if i can do that without fearing a copyright strike/claim or whatever... particularly for something like the Skyrim dragon emblem. I don't copy them 1:1, i change them up so it would suit the crystal look the best but i try to to stay close to the original.

For reference you can check them on my deviantart (this is only for those that are actually animated):
erlo68.deviantart.com

Robert T Nicholson

• View Profile
    • Robert Nicholson Consulting
    • Email
Re: Using "reimagined" Emblems/Logos
« Reply #1 on: 03-12-18 at 03:28 pm »

The logos and emblems in games are original creative works, and they are protected by copyright law.  In some cases, they may also be protected as trademarks.

You cannot legally copy them, even if you just give them to your friends.

Some game companies like to see "fan art" and are unlikely to come after you, but other companies are more protective of their rights.

I think once you start distributing and selling things, you are crossing a line where most companies will take legal action.

This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Robert Nicholson Consulting | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

erlo68

• View Profile
Re: Using "reimagined" Emblems/Logos
« Reply #2 on: 03-13-18 at 04:24 am »

So i will have to go and ask for permission to use it commercially and hope they agree. Pretty much what i expected, but i just wanted to be sure.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.