Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Putting "I'll be back" on a t-shirt  (Read 527 times)

USNews037

• View Profile
Putting "I'll be back" on a t-shirt
« on: 03-07-18 at 06:10 pm »

Trying to come up with some ideas for t-shirts. I'm trying to find out where copyright becomes an issue. For example, let's say I wanted to have a very memorable catch phrase on a t-shirt with just the text, such as "I'll be back" (think terminator). Would just the text be ok on a t-shirt?

How about having an artist rendition of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator character by itself (no other text)?

How about having both the text and artist drawing together on a shirt? Thanks!

pgomez

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Putting "I'll be back" on a t-shirt
« Reply #1 on: 03-21-18 at 07:12 am »

Hey, not sure about Arnold's drawing but you can definitely write "I'll be back". Copyright doesn't stand for short phrases or names.

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Putting "I'll be back" on a t-shirt
« Reply #2 on: 03-21-18 at 11:43 am »

Hey, not sure about Arnold's drawing but you can definitely write "I'll be back". Copyright doesn't stand for short phrases or names.

Copyright may not protect short phrases or names, but trademark can.  In 2004 Donald Trump tried to register a trademark for "You're Fired!" in the clothing category (serial No. 78353045).  The registration of the mark was abandoned February 22, 2005, but had the registration been successful, Mr. Trump might have made it difficult for others to sell "You're Fired!" clothing.
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.