Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: B.Kinesiology and looking to become Patent Agent  (Read 670 times)

AdamKlc

• View Profile
    • Email
B.Kinesiology and looking to become Patent Agent
« on: 02-27-18 at 03:58 pm »

I am an fourth year student at the University of Toronto graduating with a Bachelors of Kinesiology. I have several of questions with regards to becoming trademark/patent agent;

Is it feesible to pursue a career in CIPO with the education that I have. I understand the primary barrier is to find a company willing to employ as a patent trainee, however I am currently wondering whether there is a niche market within medical equipment/ sports equipment.

What is my best bet at pursuing a career in this field?

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: B.Kinesiology and looking to become Patent Agent
« Reply #1 on: 02-28-18 at 09:27 am »

Welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately I don't think you'll get the advice you'll need here.  Most of us frequent posters are US practitioners, several are European practitioners.  I personally don't recall any Canadian posters here (and I've been posting since 2005), but I also don't follow all the subforums.

still_learnin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-28-18 at 11:54 am »

smgsmc is right, the vast majority of traffic on this forum is from US practitioners, plus a few European.

You might want to check out the discussion forum for Patent Information Users Group (PIUG):
http://wiki.piug.org/display/PIUG/Forum+-+PIUG-DF

I don't frequent the forum, but it's shown up on a few of my internet searches. Appears to be focused on patent searching, but agents are often involved in searching. And I get the impression there is more non-US traffic there.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-28-18 at 01:11 pm »

Ignore the location (because for CA I don't think you even need a tech degree to sit the exam, just the 2-year prep/pros internship) and just focus on the question of whether an employer would look at a kinesiology degree and say, "Yeah, I need that guy/gal on my team of patent agents".

Even in the area you mention, Adam - a firm that does a lot of patents for medical/sports equipment makers, I'm not sure kinesiology would be in demand.  More likely electrical and biomedical engineers, and maybe to a lesser extent mechanical engineers.

That's just my thinking, though, and I could be wrong.  But I think your degree might offer more value to the actual developer/manufacturer of the equipment, than it would to the firm which is drafting that developer's patents.

screwed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 03-01-18 at 08:56 pm »

I am familiar with the Canadian market as I worked there for several years and I am a registered Cdn agent. The Canadian market is relatively small, of course and it is quite competitive to get a position. I don't know anyone who does not have a technical degree that is also a patent agent. I think most firms and companies would expect you to have some sort of a technical degree. Also, you need to train under a patent agent for 2 years before you can write the exams. So, you'd have to find someone to train you, which may be difficult. I am sorry but I don't think you have that good a chance with a BSc Kinesiology. In truth, it would be a long shot, but you can always give it a shot by writing to firms (since it is most likely that only firms have enough capacity to train a patent agent trainee). 

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.