Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BSChE '16, Penn JD '21  (Read 3461 times)

oxfordrama

• View Profile
BSChE '16, Penn JD '21
« on: 02-14-18 at 01:34 pm »

« Last Edit: 06-10-18 at 01:50 am by oxfordrama »

ThomasPaine

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: BSChE '16, Penn JD '21
« Reply #1 on: 02-14-18 at 04:47 pm »

Very few get to make a career of stuffing their snouts in the patent litigation trough.  My advice is:  stop day dreaming and get realistic.  But first, remove your head from your rectum and breathe some fresh air.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-14-18 at 05:14 pm »

UPenn puts +60% into biglaw jobs, so I don't think patent litigation is a unicorn dream.

Assumes OP doesn't tank 1L next year.  Top 3rd should be good enough to get OCI with some biglaws.  [ETA, of course top 5th is better and top 10% better still.]
« Last Edit: 02-14-18 at 05:16 pm by Tobmapsatonmi »

ThomasPaine

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-14-18 at 06:10 pm »

"UPenn puts +60% into biglaw jobs, so I don't think patent litigation is a unicorn dream."

Didn't say it was a unicorn dream.

And yes, OP might wanna actually make it through the first year before demanding a spot at the trough.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-14-18 at 09:24 pm »

As an FYI -

If you want to do litigation, you're competing against everybody.  Your science background is only a slight help.  I've even seen firms that specifically hire NON-scientific people as litigators to clearly divide the work, patent attorneys do the prep work, and litigators do the litigating.  Whereas if you want to do prosecution, your science background is essential, and you are competing with far, far fewer other people.

As always, good luck!
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

NJ Patent1

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-14-18 at 11:09 pm »

To paraphrase/summarize (I think) what others have typed:  “before you get to stick your nose in the trough, you gotta get a seat at the trough.”  You want to make gobs of $$$ as a patent litigator?  You need to land a job at a firm that pays “Cravath bonuses”, for which there will be lots of completion, and then survive the first year or two.  What you will do as a first or second year in “big law” will be quite unglamorous (but well paid).  If you make it to year 3, you might get the chance to carry a briefcase, sit-in on a deposition, prepare a witness for a dep, maybe even conduct a dep for a witness deemed of lesser interest (gotta start somewhere).  Exceptions always possible. But you gotta pay your dues.

You are years out from the bar exam.  Stay near top of your class, make law review, and land a federal clerkship with a judge that hears lots of patent cases.  A BS in ChemE might be of some help. But the clerkship will carry more weight. 

IMO your head is not necessarily completely up your anal aperture.  Not untypical dreams.  Reality can throw some cold water on them.

BTW patent litigation is not the only way to make gobs of $$$ in law.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-14-18 at 11:18 pm »

Very few get to make a career of stuffing their snouts in the patent litigation trough.  My advice is:  stop day dreaming and get realistic.  But first, remove your head from your rectum and breathe some fresh air.

I don't know why you need to be such a dickhead to new posters asking earnest questions.

Does it somehow make you feel superior, from your vast vantage at your self-vaunted F-10 corporate job?

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-14-18 at 11:42 pm »

To follow up what NJ Patent says above:

If this is your dream, it is a long road with not much room for error.  Top of the class 1L year gets you law review, maybe a rare summer position, staying top of the class gets you clerkship opportunities, and law review and clerkships get you top firm job offers.  Then you keep working hard for several years and get your shot. It's not impossible, but it's a lot of work. 

Not a spam bot (Tobmapsotonmi) is just giving you some cold-water reality, for most people, there is little connection between what they want to do going into law school and what they do when they graduate, let alone 5-10 years after graduation.
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-15-18 at 12:12 am »

I don't know why you need to be such a dickhead to new posters asking earnest questions.

Does it somehow make you feel superior, from your vast vantage at your self-vaunted F-10 corporate job?

I have no idea what kind of job Tommy has or if he even has one at all. But people like him never get very far, so he is probably sitting in some crap hole somewhere. The only thing I can say for sure, besides the fact that he is a little man who should probably get some help, is that contrary to what he thinks, he does not know much about patent law at all. Seriously.

Just ignore Tommy. Yes, dickhead is a good name for him, if not a compliment given what he really is.

Hate sockie posts like this; sometimes wonder if they're not promulgated by the subject to elicit objections.  Especially when they come from a brand new account.

In any event, and if so: Other than being a dickhead sometimes to new posters, what you write is incorrect.  TP is obviously a recognized expert in patent law and has also obviously had significant success in his career.

Doesn't mean he should get a pass for being an asshat toward newcomers, though.

ETA:

(1) Damn, it disappeared almost as fast as it appeared. If I hadn't happened to capture it in a "quote", I'd be asking if it actually happened.

(2) Looks like I may have hit the motive on the head.

« Last Edit: 02-15-18 at 12:50 am by Tobmapsatonmi »

ThomasPaine

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-15-18 at 02:07 pm »

I have a feeling somebody's got an entire case full of participation trophies.

Good for you.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-15-18 at 08:15 pm »

I have a feeling somebody's got an entire case full of participation trophies.

Good for you.

Alas, nary a one of those, and too few of the earned flavor as well.

But going with your analogy, there's a range of possible responses to a new, inexperienced player ranging from handing out that undeserved trophy (on a first end of the range), to yelling at them to pull their head out of their rectum after their first at bat (on the second end).

From appearances, you sometimes seem to prefer the second end of this range.  Occasional indigestion?  I dunno, but I prefer to start off more toward the middle of the range.

ThomasPaine

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-16-18 at 10:22 am »

It's just a difference in opinion.  You found OP to be "earnest."  I found OP to be an insufferable little twat with 'em's, "I wanna make a lotta money doing patent litigation.  I dont wanna do any of that yucky patent prosecution.  Work with engineers?  Ewww!  Gross!"

If OP is lucky enough to actually get a job OP is gonna meet people like you.  And people like me.  I can't understand why you think OP should not learn that life lesson just because OP is on the interwebz with OP's "earnest" question. 

ThomasPaine

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-16-18 at 12:22 pm »

Lesson #1:  Don't look down your nose at any area of practice.  Most definitely not in a job interview.  Not even on the internet.  Somebody who makes their living doing what you consider beneath you might take offense.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-16-18 at 12:45 pm »

Lesson #1:  Don't look down your nose at any area of practice.  Most definitely not in a job interview.  Not even on the internet.  Somebody who makes their living doing what you consider beneath you might take offense.
Yeah, this, definitely.  Even if you get the exact job you want as a patent litigator right out of law school, you will be doing all the work that the more senior attorneys don't want to do.  And why don't they want to do them?  Because they suck/are boring/can't bill much.  So you get to "pay your dues" for several years.  This is true of just about all law areas.  I still remember the first time I was able to give a crappy file away to a new associate.  At first they appreciate it because they need work, then they figure out pretty quickly that the only reason people give them work is because they don't want to do it.

Rheo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-16-18 at 02:01 pm »

I think Oxfordrama irritates some people because all he has is a Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. That's it.

All the rest, despite that fact, is kind of dismissively being condescending and choosy because all of the stuff he's ... going to ... do. In the future. And he will never hit any road bumps.

I kind of cringe because that's exactly how I was in my early 20s and am kind of surprised that people didn't give me more guff at the time. If I met my 20's self at my age now, I would give myself crap too. I was MSEE and JD. Big deal, it's just school.

Pages: [1] 2

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.