so sick of preps/pros

Started by UVAgal4, 02-06-18 at 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UVAgal4

So I have been doing this for about ten years, in three different firms, and I am sick of it! tired of doing the same damn thing every day. It is at the point where I get a request for a prior art search and think Woohoo!!!! Something new and different!
I am tired of kowtowing to every whim of the client, tired of having to remind them fifteen times about a due date, tired of everything.

I would really like to transition into industry, but the problem in this area is that most companies are either too small to need an in-house person, or else all their IP stuff is done in a central office in the capital.

Currently, I see myself with two very faint leads:
1) is a big company that was a client of mine, a domain I know well, and they seemed pleased with my work. When I contacted the head IP guy last summer he said that my profile was interesting but right now they don't have any positions (basically, everyone stays until they retire or die, whichever comes first).
Should I contact him again or would that be counter-productive (ie. I have your CV, said I would contact you if something came up, stop pestering me)

2) is a current client with a branch nearby. I think again that their stuff is handled by the central office. If I put out feelers, it could hurt my working Relationship now with the client and maybe get back to my boss.
Should I take a chance? I think I can reasonably trust that this patent engineer wouldn't sell me out to my boss at least.

ThomasPaine

It sounds like you want to go from firm to in-house.  It's not much rosier in-house.  There's an equivalent amount of bullsh!t in-house to what you have in a firm.  Lots of bureaucracy and other inefficient nonsense to deal with.  But, there's no billable hours and the need to constantly CYA is less, though still there.  Of course, your new, lower, paycheck will reflect that.

Was in private practice for 13 years, been in-house now for 6.  Would never go back to private practice.  Couldn't. 

To respond to your questions, send something to 1) just to remind him that you're still at your firm.  Some article or update on something relevant to him and his business.  You don't have to pester him about a job to make sure he remembers you.

As for 2), go for it.  Lots of people leave firms to go in-house at a client.  Myself included.

PatentNugget

I'm sick of it too. 

I want to post-grant work including IPRs, but don't know if it's possible to break into it.  I'm happy to switch firms to do that work. 

ThomasPaine

It beats digging ditches.

Or working for President Combover.

abc123

UVAgal4, I don't see how touching base with someone roughly 5 or 6 months later is close to pestering someone; within even a shorter time span, it is all part of the employment game anyway. Also, I wouldn't mind putting out my feelers in the other case. At least IMHO, in a better job climate like we have now, you can afford to take more risks. That could even include working as an engineer, if you don't like patent work. It is just good to do these things while people are still hiring. In 2010 or thereabouts, a bad move could really hurt your career and ability to earn a paycheck. Now, there can be alternatives if things don't work out. Truth is, however, one way or another, they always do.

Anyway, that is my take for what it's worth.

UVAgal4

Thanks everyone!
I took your advice and contacted the two.
1) said that a post is to be allotted, either to his team or another one (if it were the other one, it would be in another country), he should know soon, if it is his team I am the best candidate
2) said there aren't any posts available now, but he will keep me in mind.

So now it is just waiting to hear back from 1).

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com