Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Solo to Law Firm  (Read 1075 times)

claim-adjuster

• View Profile
    • Email
Solo to Law Firm
« on: 01-07-18 at 05:16 pm »

Although my resume was ignored after I obtained my registration, law firms are now responding to and interviewing me, after a few years of solo agent practice. Any suggestions as to what I might watch out for, questions I should ask or be prepared to answer, will be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

UVAgal4

• View Profile
Re: Solo to Law Firm
« Reply #1 on: 01-08-18 at 03:42 am »

Haven't been in this situation so I am just guessing:
- What happens to clients you bring in from your practice? Do you keep control of them, what if you want to leave the firm, etc.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-08-18 at 04:17 am »

This REALLY depends on what you are looking for, and what experience you have.

Are you looking to bring your clients in to a small group?  Or are you looking to give up your personal clients and start out at the bottom at a firm and work your way up the "associate track"?  Pay and required hours are basic questions that can vary quite a bit from firm to firm.  Some pay you a percentage, some pay you salary, but either way there will be minimum billable and realized hours expected of you.

Questions I would ask a potential hire with solo experience would be about their experience.  Some solos do great work and make good money with just a few clients.  Other solos don't know what they're doing and just churn clients hoping some of them pay.

These are just a few points to consider, if you have more detailed questions/concerns, I can be more specific in my answers.
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

claim-adjuster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 01-08-18 at 12:23 pm »

The firm with which I've had the most advanced discussions insists that I completely shut down my practice (including replacing my practitioner liability insurance with tail coverage), and give them my clients. I have one client that is particularly well established and profitable in their industry, and I'm skeptical about giving that up; I wonder what negotiation value such a client might have.

I'd love to bring my clients in to a small group, but this is BigLaw, apparently I will be working my way up. I'll try to be ready to present my body of work in the best light; I have already shown them examples, and described my preferred practices.

Thanks very much for the comments / responses / questions so far.

ThomasPaine

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-08-18 at 03:37 pm »

"The firm with which I've had the most advanced discussions insists that I completely shut down my practice (including replacing my practitioner liability insurance with tail coverage), and give them my clients."

Run as fast as you can as far as you can away from this firm.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-09-18 at 08:58 am »

Although my resume was ignored after I obtained my registration, law firms are now responding to and interviewing me, after a few years of solo agent practice. Any suggestions as to what I might watch out for, questions I should ask or be prepared to answer, will be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.
<Emphasis added.>

Please confirm:  Will you be joining the law firm as a patent agent; or have you since become a patent attorney?  Note it makes a big difference with respect to your career track [there is no "associate track" for agents] and potential options for how you could be remunerated for clients you bring in [stronger restrictions for agents].

claim-adjuster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 01-09-18 at 11:39 am »

I am a Patent Agent.

Good question; I hadn't even considered the potential for rule eleven trouble. Thank you!

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.