Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Using the Skywalker name in art  (Read 112 times)

Eleksisj

• View Profile
Using the Skywalker name in art
« on: 01-05-18 at 04:58 pm »

I'm a Graphic Designer for a custom apparel printing company and I wanted to avoid creating anything that violates our IP rules. I planned to create a design using the words "House Skywalker" (in a Game of Thrones-y way) but I'm not sure if the name Skywalker is copyrighted or trademarked. We don't need any trouble from Disney so I'm being thorough.

artchain

• View Profile
    • ArtChain Artist and Art Group Directory
    • Email
Re: Using the Skywalker name in art
« Reply #1 on: 01-05-18 at 06:09 pm »

The word Skywalker is protected by trademark for several classes of goods relating to Star Wars merchandise; the Skywalker characters are protected by copyright.

It is possible to use the word Skywalker for other products, as long as there is no conflict or confusion with the Disney properties.  For example, there are active trademarks for Skywalker Sports, Skywalker Trampolines, Skywalker Roofing, Skywalker Stilts, Skywalker Vineyards, etc.

In your case, I think it would be very hard to avoid conflict, since as soon as you said "House Skywalker" I thought of Luke & Anakin, and putting the word on apparel would clearly conflict with merchandizing use.

And bear in mind that Disney is known to be very aggressive in protecting their rights.

This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

ArtChain Art Directory | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.