Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Possibility for being US patent examiner  (Read 324 times)

sinsayer24

• View Profile
    • Email
Possibility for being US patent examiner
« on: 11-30-17 at 02:27 am »

Hi.

I have situation like below:

33 years old.
US patent agent and KR patent attorney.
3 years experiences at KR law firm mostly drafting and handling US patent application.
Having Bachelor's degree in physics
Served as EE patent attorney/agent
having experience with optoelectronics, medical device stuff
I was born in US, but mostly I lived in KR. So, most of my life experience and career path is based on South Korea.(I think this  can be my drawback)

I found there is a job opening at USPTO and applied for EE examiner position(both GS-7 and GS-9 position).
For now, I am the only person having US citizenship and US patent agent license in my current law firm. So, I am not sure about I am qualifying for examiner position and have no information about the hiring procedure or details about the job.

Can you guys give me some comments or tips?

two banks of four

• View Profile
Re: Possibility for being US patent examiner
« Reply #1 on: 11-30-17 at 05:03 pm »

From the sound of it, you meet all of the necessary criteria.  It just requires U.S. citizenship (which you have via jus soli) and a technical degree (which you presumably have, or else OED wouldn't have granted you a registration #).

That's essentially it, and anything else is really just icing on the cake.  Your experiences are certainly more than relevant, as you probably deal with office actions on a daily basis and need to conduct prior art searches of your own from time to time.  The interview questions haven't changed for ages and may be found on glassdoor.com. 

That said, the actual hiring process is a complete crapshot.  When I was applying, there were applicants with registration #s, and they didn't get the job.  Some supervisors may even frown upon people with registration #s, as these supervisors probably want to see things done their own way and would not welcome challenges from people who actually know what is proper. 

Most examiners on this site congregate here.  You may want to take a look at the last 20 pages or so to get a sense of the drawbacks and advantages.  As a general rule of thumb, if you have any desire to go back to a firm, 2-3 years is the most you should spend at the Office.
« Last Edit: 11-30-17 at 05:05 pm by two banks of four »

sinsayer24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 11-30-17 at 11:36 pm »

Thank your for your comment!

That registration number you commented above, you mean the registration # of US patent agen6t right?
And you don't think my physics BS major won't be a problem to serve as EE examiner?

two banks of four

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-01-17 at 12:18 am »

Yes, registration # is the 5-digit patent agent # that Office of Enrollment and Discipline assigns you.

As for the qualification of physics major for an EE position, make sure to highlight your experience prosecuting EE patent applications in your cover letter.  It's been a long time since I applied, but I recall that you can satisfy any of the basic requirements by having either the requisite education or experience.  In your case, it would be the latter.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 20 queries.