Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Cheap(ish), reliable patent study course for a poor college student  (Read 1361 times)

dallin_packard

• View Profile

Because law school applications cleaned me out, I am hoping to take a relatively cheap course (around 500 if possible). Does anyone have any experiences with programs like these? Are they reliable? I see "Omnipreppatent" online, but am worried about their credibility. It wouldn't be possible for me to take a $1500+ course at this time.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile

The cheap courses seem to be just someone (or something) cutting and pasting the most-likely-to-be-tested MPEP sections.  IIRC, one of them uses a TTS program to "read" the MPEP to you.  You could just do it yourself and save the $500. I did.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

novobarro

• View Profile

Buy a used version of PLI on eBay. I think I paid about $500 and actually resold it after I was done for $600.

sinsayer24

• View Profile
    • Email

I think reading a whole MPEP is best option but bit too much. If you're preparing for patent bar exam, just  buying a used PLI book. That book itself contains lots of sample questions, and that question helps a lot.

abc123

• View Profile

Maybe your local library can help you with an interlibrary loan, if anything useful is sitting on a shelf in a distant library. Or try a local law library.
Be careful about dated material, though.

One nice thing about seeing what is in the library is you will introduce yourself to books on patent law that will help you throughout your career, even if they might not help on the exam.

I think it is nice you are taking it before law school, and I wish you luck on it.
« Last Edit: 11-30-17 at 03:57 am by abc123 »

novobarro

• View Profile

If you do the used option, make sure you get one that is max one year old.  Otherwise, the materials may be dated.

abc123

• View Profile

I saw some old exams from the 40's and 50's and they were super easy. Later on, you had to draft some fairly complicated claims on an invention they gave you, and this part was graded by examiners. I took the first exam without a claim drafting exercise, I think in 97', and it was rock hard, and in a lot of ways, pointless. I haven't kept track of the exam, but I know in some years they have had to throw out huge numbers of questions because they were later found to be wrong, or ambiguous. Maybe they have cleaned up their act, but I thought it was just another way of making the office look unprofessional.

DetroitLaw

• View Profile

I would recommend checking out the info that is like mentioned above, relevant. Using old material may not help. Information, especially in law changes all the time! You may even want to try craigslist and ebay. I've actually sold old material directly through craigslist so if you get lucky some law student may be selling their stuff. Also check college message boards as well.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.