Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tell reason to leave job?  (Read 2663 times)

novobarro

• View Profile
Tell reason to leave job?
« on: 11-24-17 at 06:34 pm »

What should I tell my boss why I'm leaving?  The truth is work is low and having trouble billing hours.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tell reason to leave job?
« Reply #1 on: 11-24-17 at 07:01 pm »

That's a straightforward, non-confrontational, and reasonable reason, so go with it.  Is work available, but not being assigned to you? Or are others in your firm in the same situation?  In my experience, if there was enough work to go around, but a particular practitioner's docket was lean (while others' were stuffed), that was a sign the boss was getting ready to boot him.   But if the whole firm is short on work, that's a different story.
« Last Edit: 11-24-17 at 07:39 pm by smgsmc »

novobarro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-24-17 at 08:13 pm »

The whole firm was low and filings were down too so felt like situation was not going to improve.

blakesq

• View Profile
    • Law Office of Michael A. Blake, LLC
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 11-25-17 at 10:02 am »

What should I tell my boss why I'm leaving?  The truth is work is low and having trouble billing hours.

I too think that is a perfectly reasonable answer as to why you’re leaving. Or you you can go with the generic “I found firm with better opportunities for me. “
Registered Patent Attorney
www.blake-ip.com

UVAgal4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-27-17 at 03:46 am »

I would stick with a generic response. Your boss must know the situation isn't great, you aren't going to enlighten him/her.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-27-17 at 08:56 am »

I would stick with a generic response. Your boss must know the situation isn't great, you aren't going to enlighten him/her.
If my boss has been decent to me, and I'm leaving due to lack of work, I'd simply say that.  Who knows?  Maybe there's a ton of work about to come in.  In one situation I was in, the bulk of the firm's work was based on ~3 Megacorps clients.  Even a loss of one would result in an overall work shortage.  But whenever we lost one, the boss always came up with one or more replacement clients (maybe took a couple of months), and then there was plenty of work.

In a different situation, I was considering leaving (for other reasons), and had another position lined up.  I had a heart-to-heart discussion with my boss, and told him why.  He really wanted me to stay, so he agreed to some changes that would resolve my issues. 

And who knows?  Even if you do leave, you might want to go back in the future (or your boss might end up transferring to another firm at which you interview in the future).  So I think it's a good idea to be direct with the guy if you have a straightforward reason (not "I'm leaving because I hate your guts!", of course).
« Last Edit: 11-27-17 at 09:01 am by smgsmc »

trustme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-27-17 at 11:29 am »

Yeah, as nice as it might be to put on Johnny Paycheck's "Take this Job and shove it" it might be better to go smooth.

still_learnin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-27-17 at 12:04 pm »

The answer, as always, is "it depends." On your boss and of your relationship with your boss. And on the overall firm/company culture -- you want to preserve your relationship with other partners/managers too, not just your boss. 

I've seen some situations where a perfectly reasonable explanation for the exit was given, and it went well. But I've also seen others that didn't go well. I don't disagree with smgsmc's reasoning, but some people just aren't rational about stuff like this.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

novobarro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-28-17 at 11:26 am »

What to do if a start date has been agreed with the new firm and the old firm asks to delay leaving after the start date?

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-28-17 at 03:03 pm »

What to do if a start date has been agreed with the new firm and the old firm asks to delay leaving after the start date?

How much of a delay are you talking about?  And have you given the customary two week's notice?  You said you were leaving because the firm is short on work. In which case, two weeks should be plenty to transfer your cases.  Ultimately, avoid burning your bridges.  But your future lies with your new firm.  If they need you to start work promptly, then adhere to that.  On the other hand, if they are not in a super rush and agree to the delay, then OK.  Assuming you've met the two week min, staying an extra week probably is OK if it would ease the transition for your current boss, but not an extra month.

novobarro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-28-17 at 03:42 pm »

talking about a one week delay.  I did give two week's notice, so this would make it three weeks.  It just so happens the current firm is busier at the moment.  I'm wondering if it's professional to even ask the new firm since I already agreed to a start date.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-28-17 at 06:58 pm »

talking about a one week delay.  I did give two week's notice, so this would make it three weeks.  It just so happens the current firm is busier at the moment.  I'm wondering if it's professional to even ask the new firm since I already agreed to a start date.
This is obviously a matter of individual style.  But I don't consider it unprofessional to ask your future boss whether it would be OK to delay your start date by a week.  There are two possible reactions from your future boss:

(a) Hey, this guy is a really considerate professional.  When the time comes for him to leave my firm, I can expect the same consideration from him.

(b) What's up with this guy?  Is he stalling while waiting for another offer?

If you really don't think you'll ever work for your old boss again, then simply say, "Sorry, I've already committed to a start date with the new firm, and they need me ASAP."

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-28-17 at 08:44 pm »

I went back and asked for another week between my last job and this one.  I posed it as:  these are good folks and I respect them and they'd like me to complete an additional week, but if you really need me to start on the original date, your needs have to take precedence and i'll tell them I just can't do it.

In my case, the new boss said: no, we need you to start on the date mentioned because our HR only starts newhires every other week, so that would push you back two more weeks.  (I later found out this has to do with pay cycles, and yes they (uh, "we" now) are still very strict on this.)

So I told the old boss, sorry, I checked, but just can't swing the extra week.  I'll do everything I can between now and my departure to smoothly transition everything, and Johnny Takeovermyfiles is free to call me if questions arise.
Any/all disclaimers you see on this forum used by members more experienced and/or smarter than I, are hereby incorporated by reference as if fully set forth herein.

I'm doing well as of 08-09-18 @ 18:38 hours, and regret only not getting that 1000th post. Hope all are doing well indeed! Thanks!

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-29-17 at 01:25 am »

Personally, I try to give myself about a month between jobs, because it often ends up being my only vacation for a while :)  It has generally worked out well.  It gives some flexibility on both ends.  One time, though, the new firm came to me and pushed my start back a few weeks, and that was a bit hard on the pocketbook, and a real nerve-racker, since I had already quit my old job by then.  But it all worked out in the end.
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

luvin life

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-29-17 at 01:38 pm »

I once got my start date set back by several years. Best several years I ever had by a significant margin.
Pages: [1] 2

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.