Pre-Publication PAIR Access for Client?

Started by mersenne, 11-16-17 at 09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mersenne

Is there a way to allow a client to access their application in PAIR before it is published?  I have a customer number I use for my office, and all my cases are listed under that.  But a client would like to access their application directly.  Can I set that up without also giving them access to all my other cases (or worse: allowing them to [inadvertently] file into those cases?)
Mersenne Law
Patents, Trademarks & Copyrights for Small Biz & Startups
California, Oregon & USPTO

Robert K S

I don't know if they can get in without getting their own digital certificate and associating their certificate with that customer number, but one thing you can easily do is set it up so that any Office action notifications get sent to them by e-mail.
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

mersenne

Quote from: Robert K S on 11-16-17 at 09:19 PM
...but one thing you can easily do is set it up so that any Office action notifications get sent to them by e-mail.

Ah, interesting.  Is that in My.USPTO.gov, or somewhere under PAIR?  I still get paper notifications, so I wouldn't want to switch over to all electronic just for this purpose, but if I can associate a couple of email addresses with this one case, that would work pretty well.
Mersenne Law

Robert K S

I'm pretty sure you can get e-notifications without discontinuing paper notifications.  I know I set that up (somehow) for a recent pro bono client when filing that client's application.  Sorry I'm thin on details.  It would take me time I don't have just now to go back and figure that out.
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

smgsmc

Quote from: mersenne on 11-16-17 at 09:17 PM
Is there a way to allow a client to access their application in PAIR before it is published?  I have a customer number I use for my office, and all my cases are listed under that.  But a client would like to access their application directly.  Can I set that up without also giving them access to all my other cases (or worse: allowing them to [inadvertently] file into those cases?)
You can setup a separate customer number dedicated to that client, transfer the application from the old customer number to the new customer number, and allow the client access only to files under his dedicated customer number.

mersenne

Quote from: smgsmc on 11-17-17 at 12:50 AM
You can setup a separate customer number dedicated to that client, transfer the application from the old customer number to the new customer number, and allow the client access only to files under his dedicated customer number.

I think the final part of that is associating my reg number with the separate customer number.  I've heard from a [Big Corp] in-house counsel that that's what they do with their outside patent attorneys.  I'll follow up if/when I get this to work correctly.

Thanks!
Mersenne Law

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com