Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Use of statistics without CR infringement  (Read 131 times)

Broccoli Shmoccoli

• View Profile
    • Email
Use of statistics without CR infringement
« on: 11-13-17 at 08:14 pm »

I would like to use various statistics and information accessible on various websites. There are companies producing statistics with websites for paid membership which have strict terms of service, and there are other much less restrictive and more accessible but less credible sites like Wikipedia... I would like to obtain a statistic, use it for my own calculations and than for commercial purposes publish the results of those calculations in a nice little science-pop video on YouTube. I would monetize the video.

The terms of service on one of the websites I considered using are so strict that I'm actually afraid to post even a quote from it here or even the name of the site believe it or not. But basically what I understand is that I can not produce any derived data and publish it for commercial purposes and that the derived data shall only be used for company's internal purposes... I have a feeling I know the answer to this one but - would my intent what I want to do described above break that rule? And does that which I would produce with my calculations and than publish qualify as "derived data"?

As specific as they are in their terms of service, I still find ambiguity... Take this example - Say that a company takes me to court - could they eventually force me to produce other viable sources which would clearly show that I could come up with the same results by using their data? And if that is so - what about data which is relatively well known by the public but the company also has a statistic on the subject online - what about than? How can they distinguish between information which is more or less obscure, but at the same time accessible from other sources like Wikipedia, to actually be able to argue in court: "you had to get it from us, you couldn't come up with your results otherwise"..?

But anyway, the only thing I'm looking for is a source of data which allows you to use their statistics for calculations and publish the results of those calculations for commercial purposes online without any legal risks or hassle? And just to be sure - I can use data from Wikipedia and monetize the results right?

For any guidance in this darkness, I would be very grateful.
Best regards

artchain

• View Profile
    • ArtChain Artist and Art Group Directory
    • Email
Re: Use of statistics without CR infringement
« Reply #1 on: 11-13-17 at 09:35 pm »

Copyright law protects creative works.

Factual information - like statistics - does not qualify for copyright protection.

So this isn't a copyright question at all.

It comes down to whether the terms of use on the various websites are legally enforceable.

Broccoli Shmoccoli

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Use of statistics without CR infringement
« Reply #2 on: 11-14-17 at 12:36 am »

Thank you for your reply. Let me check with a lawyer if I can quote their terms of service on a public forum and get back.  :-X
« Last Edit: 11-14-17 at 05:41 am by Broccoli Shmoccoli »

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.