Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Does law school choice matter for biglaw patent work?  (Read 831 times)

dallin_packard

• View Profile

I am an EE undergrad looking at law schools, and I know I want to land a biglaw position as a patent attorney in Houston, Texas. Would my chances of getting in at one of those firms be greater as a University of Texas graduate, or as a Chicago/Columbia/New York University graduate?

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does law school choice matter for biglaw patent work?
« Reply #1 on: 10-30-17 at 09:15 pm »

UT Austin should feed well into Texas law firms.  The T14 schools feed well into biglaw firms nationwide.  If you're dead-set on Houston only, UT Austin should be ok.  Your chances might go up a hair from the higher-ranked schools, but the competition will be a hair harder too.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

dallin_packard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-30-17 at 09:20 pm »

That makes sense. My wife and I are both from Houston and want to be close to family, so Houston is pretty much a lock. I'll wait until admissions/scholarships start coming in and then make a decision. With a scholarship UT would definitely be more appealing. But having recently scored higher on the LSAT than I anticipated (expected 167, scored 172) I'm having to look at schools I hadn't considered and weigh them against my initial plans.

Dazed-n-confused

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-30-17 at 11:34 pm »

i understand that your better than hoped for LSAT gives you admittance options outside of (more within the T20 of) UTA.  But you want to work in TX, Houston specifically.  IMHO, screw the other schools, and for that matter why not parley your score into a ride+at Houston?   No one in Houston looks down on that school, so far as my friends working there say.  But certainly a UTA degree if you want to work in Houston is a good deal.
...purple haze... ...runnin' through my brain... ...and it feels... being hit bya train....

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-31-17 at 10:23 pm »

i understand that your better than hoped for LSAT gives you admittance options outside of (more within the T20 of) UTA.  But you want to work in TX, Houston specifically.  IMHO, screw the other schools, and for that matter why not parley your score into a ride+at Houston?   No one in Houston looks down on that school, so far as my friends working there say.  But certainly a UTA degree if you want to work in Houston is a good deal.
With a 172, UTA would probably give a partial scholarship, and besides, pretty sure in-state tuition is still cheap in TX (not like Illinois, where the state is basically bankrupt and UIUC has been forced to raise even in-state tuition to the same levels as a private law school).

Also, if Houston doesn't work out for some reason, a UTA degree would be a lot more portable.

But in OP's situation I'd definitely apply to Houston as a "safety school" just in case, and see what happens.
« Last Edit: 10-31-17 at 10:25 pm by MYK »
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

novobarro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-01-17 at 01:44 pm »

if you're set on Houston, UTA has plenty of prestige to get you into big law firms.  Forgoing instate tuition and moving out of state IMO would not be worth it to attend a higher ranked school.  Also, second the advice on applying to UofH, not ranked as well, but well respected, especially in Houston.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.