Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: What is the standard in a 1.132 declaration?  (Read 238 times)

dab2d

• View Profile
What is the standard in a 1.132 declaration?
« on: 10-19-17 at 10:34 am »

The Office submitted that the declaration does not carry weight because

"the statement in the declaration 'to the best of my knowledge' is insufficient to establish that the structure in question ... as set forth."

Isn't all testimony given to the best of one's knowledge?
Nothing I post on this forum is legal advice.  You rely on anything I post at your own risk.  This post does not form an attorney client relationship between myself any person participating in this thread.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is the standard in a 1.132 declaration?
« Reply #1 on: 10-19-17 at 02:11 pm »

Did you establish the credentials and level of expertise of the declarant?

NJ Patent1

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-19-17 at 03:46 pm »

Yea, sort of.  But not necessarily.  One “testifies” on personal knowledge.  The dec usually ends with something like:  “mindful of … all statements herein based on personal best knowledge are true, all statements based on information and belief are believed to be true.”  Establishing the bona fides noted by smgsmc go to the credibility of the (not crossexamined and maybe paid for) statements in the dec.  But that refusal to give weight does seem a bit hypertechnical, but IMHO the "best" really doesn't belong there. 

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-19-17 at 04:26 pm »

This is one of many frustrating things dealing with Office personnel who are untrained in law or legal thinking.  Many Examiners believe, or are taught, that it is either Yes or No.  Whereas, in this case, it is more of a balance.  Based on the information in the Declaration, and the prior art reviewed by the Examiner, what is the most likely outcome?  Instead, the Examiner sees a "deficiency" in the Declaration, and declares it void.

The worst I ever saw was an Examiner's supervisor, during an interview, saying that "he would not consider" our evidence of unexpected results.  Not "they are not persuasive," which we could have handled and at least responded to, but "the examiner refuses to consider the evidence" is really hard to explain to clients, and is not the law.  But the supervisor couldn't understand anything other than (1) Yes, I'll consider them and allow the claims, or (2) No, I won't consider them so that I can maintain the rejection.

Like I said, frustrating.

In your case, have you tried calling the Examiner and seeing what language or format he would like to see?  I know you shouldn't have to refile the Declaration, but it may be your only/best recourse.

NJ Patent1

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-19-17 at 07:38 pm »

fewyears: No “because” whatsoever (untimely, results not tied to a feature of the claim(s), didn’t wait for Simon says)?  IMO apparent outrageous violation of the APA!  Dab’s situation is a bit different.  A simple “because Declarant does not testify to facts based on personal knowledge, the Declaration carries no weight (or, better, will not be considered) would IMO legally suffice.  I don’t agree that dab “shouldn’t” have to refile the dec.  IMO the Examiner has  a nitpicking, formalistic, but IMO legally defensible evidentiary argument for ignoring the dec.  IMO it is not whether the FRE strictly applies, rather whether basic rules of “witness” competency and evidentiary foundation apply. 

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.