Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: When to take the Patent Bar?  (Read 880 times)

dallin_packard

• View Profile
When to take the Patent Bar?
« on: 10-17-17 at 02:27 pm »

I am an EE student and will graduate mid August and will rush to law school weeks after. My question is: Is it worth it for me to take the patent bar at the beginning of my 1L year? I will be ready to take it as soon as I graduate with my EE, but my diploma won't be in for a month or so, so I wouldn't be able to take it until law school has begun. Would it put me in a significantly better position for internships if I have already passed the patent bar?

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: When to take the Patent Bar?
« Reply #1 on: 10-17-17 at 02:36 pm »

Would it put me in a significantly better position for internships if I have already passed the patent bar?
Yes.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-17-17 at 03:44 pm »

Caveat - yes, but not at the risk of lower 1L grades, which are significantly more important than grades in 2L/3L.

So don't split your attention first year, unless you're sure you can handle it.  While as an EE-JD the current indications are that you'd be in demand in any event, being near the top of your 1L class opens opportunities for your consideration that you won't get if you aren't at the top of your class.
Any/all disclaimers you see on this forum used by members more experienced and/or smarter than I, are hereby incorporated by reference as if fully set forth herein.

I'm doing well as of 08-09-18 @ 18:38 hours, and regret only not getting that 1000th post. Hope all are doing well indeed! Thanks!

dallin_packard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-17-17 at 04:40 pm »

I will be mostly if not completely ready for the exam right when law school starts, so I would just need to take the test during a random day, or during a weekend.

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-18-17 at 11:16 am »

Ah, no worries then.  Good fortunes!
Any/all disclaimers you see on this forum used by members more experienced and/or smarter than I, are hereby incorporated by reference as if fully set forth herein.

I'm doing well as of 08-09-18 @ 18:38 hours, and regret only not getting that 1000th post. Hope all are doing well indeed! Thanks!

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.