Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: AP Credit/Online Courses  (Read 459 times)

iplaw95

• View Profile
AP Credit/Online Courses
« on: 10-11-17 at 07:50 pm »

I am looking to qualify under category B and would need 8 semester units of chemistry.

I took AP Chem in high school and our university grants 5.3 units for AP Chem credit. Thus, I would need 3 more units of chemistry to meet the 8 semester units of chemistry requirement. I had two quick questions:

1) What chemistry course would be considered sequential after AP Chem? AP Chem covers a broad range of topics, and I was not sure which chemistry course I should look into for it to be considered sequential.

2) Are online courses acceptable? I was told that there is list of acceptable online courses on USPTO's website for patent bar exam, but I could not locate that anywhere. Does anyone have experience with qualifying using online courses?

lazyexaminer

• View Profile
Re: AP Credit/Online Courses
« Reply #1 on: 10-11-17 at 08:24 pm »

I am looking to qualify under category B and would need 8 semester units of chemistry.

I took AP Chem in high school and our university grants 5.3 units for AP Chem credit. Thus, I would need 3 more units of chemistry to meet the 8 semester units of chemistry requirement. I had two quick questions:

1) What chemistry course would be considered sequential after AP Chem? AP Chem covers a broad range of topics, and I was not sure which chemistry course I should look into for it to be considered sequential.

2) Are online courses acceptable? I was told that there is list of acceptable online courses on USPTO's website for patent bar exam, but I could not locate that anywhere. Does anyone have experience with qualifying using online courses?

At my school, AP Chem got you out of two introductory inorganic chem courses and their labs. Total of 8 credits. They were just called something like Intro to Chem I and II. The next basic chem course was intro to organic chem. This info is over 20 years old so YMMV.

5.3...were you on a quarter system or something?
I'm not your examiner, I'm not your lawyer, and I'm speaking only for myself, not for the USPTO.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-11-17 at 08:28 pm »

Note the requirements:

The 8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics must be obtained in
two  sequential  courses,  each  course  including  a  lab.  Only  courses  for  science  or
engineering   majors   will   be   accepted. <<Emphasis added>>

An online course by itself would not include a lab.

As for sequential, check your course catalog.  The second course should have the first course as a prerequisite.  You don't want two intro courses without prerequisities.

iplaw95

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-12-17 at 12:52 am »

My school is on a semester system, but we still only get 5.3 semester units. :( It's probably because I'm part of the UC system and most UC schools are on a quarter system. So they get 8 quarter units, while I would get 8/1.5 = 5.3 units.

bluerogue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-12-17 at 02:17 am »

I would read that as a 201/202 course as opposed to a 101/201 course.  At my university, 101/102 was general science (chem/physics/etc) and 201/202 was science for engineers.

I would assume so if it was from an accredited university, but not 100% sure.  How will you get the lab credits from an online course?
The views expressed are my own and do not represent those of the USPTO. I am also not your lawyer nor providing legal advice.

iplaw95

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-12-17 at 08:38 pm »

What if the online class has an online lab component?

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-13-17 at 08:10 am »

What if the online class has an online lab component?
What, watch someone else mixing chemicals?  Or "mix vinegar and baking soda in your kitchen to make a cool volcano!!!"

Don't be silly.

Find a community college, see if they offer both sequential classes of chemistry during the same semester at different time slots, and go.  Unless you're living in the middle of nowhere, this is going to be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than buying the necessary chemicals for any sort of "home lab" class.

Or else go back to UCB, find out which classes you got credit for (at least at my school, my AP credits were accepted as equivalent to specific, named, sequential classes, not "8 credits for whatever"), and take the next one in sequence.  Avoid the psychotic terrorists running around campus.

BTW, I vaguely recall reading here that the USPTO WON'T allow you to take two classes at separate schools, because there is no way to know that you are getting the full curriculum -- one might have the discussion of electrochemistry ("how a battery works") in the first semester while the second puts it in the second semester, and if you took their two not-really-sequential classes you'd miss out.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.