Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Computer Science BA Qualifications for Patent Bar Exam  (Read 487 times)

iplaw95

• View Profile

I was curious if someone could assess if I would have the necessary qualification to sit for the patent bar exam.

I have a BA in Computer Science from UC Berkeley. According to the list of qualifiable degrees, computer science is accepted with the following condition:

"Please note that with Computer Science degrees the school the degree is awarded by must be accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board (CSAB), or by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), on or before the date the degree was awarded. Computer science degrees that are accredited may be found on the Internet."

UC Berkeley is part of the accredited schools according to ABET's search feature, but I was not able to find my exact degree on the list of Abet-Accredited programs for UC Berkeley. I was unable to add the link to ABET for Berkeley, because this forum does not let me add external links to posts. The closest program was the computer science and engineering BS, which is not equivalent to my BA in Computer Science.

Would this make me ineligible to sit for the patent bar? (I will call the USPTO next week to make sure, but in the meanwhile, I was curious if anyone with experience could offer me guidance.
« Last Edit: 10-06-17 at 07:28 pm by iplaw95 »

bluerogue

• View Profile
Re: Computer Science BA Qualifications for Patent Bar Exam
« Reply #1 on: 10-07-17 at 01:31 am »

I was curious if someone could assess if I would have the necessary qualification to sit for the patent bar exam.
I have a BA in Computer Science from UC Berkeley. According to the list of qualifiable degrees, computer science is accepted with the following condition:

Would this make me ineligible to sit for the patent bar? (I will call the USPTO next week to make sure, but in the meanwhile, I was curious if anyone with experience could offer me guidance.

Although the A category is the easiest, I'm willing to bet that you would also qualify under the B category if you got a CS degree.  As long as you qualify under B it doesn't matter if you meet the A category. My degree wasn't accredited by ABET either, but I still qualified.  I don't actually know if the PTO decided it was under A or B.  I just got the letter saying I was OK to take the exam. 
The views expressed are my own and do not represent those of the USPTO. I am also not your lawyer nor providing legal advice.

iplaw95

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-07-17 at 04:03 am »

I see, that's comforting. According to the requirements webpage:

iv. Option 4: 40 semester hours in a combination consisting of the following:
8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics, and
32 semester hours of chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular
biology, or engineering. (For Computer Science, see other acceptable course work.

We would probably most likely qualify under option 4 with CS degrees. However, I do not have 8 semester hours of physics and/or chemistry. I've taken math courses (ex. multivariable calculus) that would be prerequisites for a physics degree, but they were not directly "physics" courses. I am pretty sure I have more than 32 semester hours of cs engineering, but I think I would lack the 8 units of chemistry/physics.

Did you have physics or chemistry courses taken during your university education? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 10-07-17 at 04:06 am by iplaw95 »

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-07-17 at 09:31 am »

I was not able to find my exact degree on the list of Abet-Accredited programs for UC Berkeley.
Then that degree program is not accredited.  I was in the same boat, my university didn't bother with ABET for their CS program "because our reputation stands on its own" but has it for all their enginerding programs.  Cat B.  Yay.

We would
You and your tapeworm?

probably most likely qualify under option 4 with CS degrees. However, I do not have 8 semester hours of physics and/or chemistry. I've taken math courses (ex. multivariable calculus) that would be prerequisites for a physics degree, but they were not directly "physics" courses. I am pretty sure I have more than 32 semester hours of cs engineering, but I think I would lack the 8 units of chemistry/physics.

So, you'll have to go find a community college and take two sequential semesters of chem or physics.  Be sure that the courses have labs.

I believe, but am not certain, that you would also qualify if you got two semesters of credit for the AP Chemistry exam from a high school class.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

iplaw95

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-07-17 at 12:41 pm »

Thanks for the response. I took one year of AP Chemistry in high school and scored a 5 on the AP exam. I know the credits transferred over to my college but they didn't transfer over as 8 college units, but something around 5 or 6.

Would this still be considered 8 semester hours? Or since the number of credits transferred wasn't actually 8, would it not be enough to meet the 8 hours of physics and/or chemistry requirement.

If it doesn't, any recommendations/ways I can get to the 8 hours requirements?
« Last Edit: 10-07-17 at 12:43 pm by iplaw95 »

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-07-17 at 03:20 pm »

Thanks for the response. I took one year of AP Chemistry in high school and scored a 5 on the AP exam. I know the credits transferred over to my college but they didn't transfer over as 8 college units, but something around 5 or 6.

Would this still be considered 8 semester hours? Or since the number of credits transferred wasn't actually 8, would it not be enough to meet the 8 hours of physics and/or chemistry requirement.
Odd (to me) because I got a 5 on mine back in the day and my original transcript was marked as getting two semesters of credit.  If UCB is on the quarter system, maybe that's why -- they gave you two quarters, not three.  I can't tell you whether that would count or not.

The only people who can answer that are in the USPTO's OED.  You can call and try to get past the screeners to talk to someone who actually evaluates credentials.  They may or may not be willing to answer.  Most likely they would not -- you would have to apply to take the exam and get rejected to find out, at which point you would have to do the following:

If it doesn't, any recommendations/ways I can get to the 8 hours requirements?
Already told you, find a community college and take a two-semester course there.  There's no shortcut.  You might be able to find one that will let you do both semesters at the same time, which would at least shorten it to a single semester in duration -- but then you might have to worry about the USPTO's wording that they have to be "sequential".
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

iplaw95

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-07-17 at 03:23 pm »

UCB is on a semester system, so not too sure as well. It just says 5.3 credits were transferred over for college credit for AP chemistry.

I think it is because most other UCs are on a quarter system, so UC students receive 8 quarter units for AP Chem. But since Berkeley is semester based, we would have to divide 8/1.5 to convert to semester units. Not sure what this means, so I guess it is up to USPTO.
« Last Edit: 10-07-17 at 03:33 pm by iplaw95 »

bluerogue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-08-17 at 03:01 am »

Already told you, find a community college and take a two-semester course there.  There's no shortcut.  You might be able to find one that will let you do both semesters at the same time, which would at least shorten it to a single semester in duration -- but then you might have to worry about the USPTO's wording that they have to be "sequential".

I read that to mean 201/202 not 101/201.  At my school the 101 series was for non-engineering majors and the 201 courses were for engineering majors so it sounds like it would be possible to take both classes concurrently or if you got credit for a 201/202 course for quarter hours, maybe you can just take the 203 course. 

That's my read of course.  OED would be the definitive authority.
The views expressed are my own and do not represent those of the USPTO. I am also not your lawyer nor providing legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.