Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: using creative commons in PPT slides  (Read 212 times)

lboceanguy

• View Profile
using creative commons in PPT slides
« on: 10-04-17 at 08:15 pm »

Hello, I am using Google images and will use them in my PowerPoint slides for a recorded lecture in my online business. Do I need to provide attribution for every image using Creative Commons guidelines ?Thank you for your help.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: using creative commons in PPT slides
« Reply #1 on: 10-05-17 at 02:49 am »

Depends on the CC license. Some require attribution, some don't.  For any that do, yes, you should include an attribution.  You can do them all in a few slides at the end.

Not all images that you find using Google Images are going to be CC licensed, though.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

CRfan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: using creative commons in PPT slides
« Reply #2 on: 10-07-17 at 08:02 pm »

I’m super cautious about using Creative Commons (CC) works in my media projects. 

With copyright infringement being a strict liability tort (notwithstanding Fair Use), how do you actually know that the person who marked and posted the work with a CC license has the authority to do so? 

Before appropriating CC content to your blog, web/social media sites, or in business (commercial) presentations, do some verification, as those “free” images may not be so free after all.  And you certainly don’t want to receive a cease & desist letter with a pricey invoice attached to settle an unlicensed usage.

My best practice is to contact the party who posted the CC work, asking him/her to confirm the CC license and that s/he is, indeed, the author or rights-owner of the work.  In addition, conduct a reverse Google image search to double-check that the work is being tracked back to the rights-owner.  If you don’t receive a reply confirmation, or the reply is not to your satisfaction, or the image is having a hard time finding its rights-owner through web search, or your use doesn’t clearly fall within Fair Use, skip using the work all together and search for a substitute--this will be your good faith effort (maybe even your best effort) to mitigate your copyright infringement exposure.

Joy R. Butler, attorney, writes, “…Creative Commons materials typically come with no representations, warranties, or indemnifications and, for that and other reasons, using Creative Commons materials is not always risk-free. Source:  Search “Adding Music to Your Company Video” (Blog Guide Through the Legal Jungle) by Joy R Butler via Lexology.

Works affixed with commercial CC licenses may unknowingly pose the most liability risk to end-users.

At the end of the day, there’s no free lunch.  If you’re expecting to use free creative content (commercially) without checking the source, you’re engaged in a risky business.  Always double-check the license’s provenance before proceeding.  Protect your business by doing some due diligence.

MYK writes, “You can do them all in a few slides at the end.” 

My preference is to attribute the CC work on the same page it is featured.  Many authors would not appreciate their attribution appearing at the end of the slide presentation.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.