Non-patent folks: how did you study?

Started by ip770, 09-17-17 at 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ip770

I'm an engineer with no patent experience yet and plan on taking the patent bar in a few months. 
For those of you that didn't have any exposure to patents, how did you go about studying?

I'm contemplating doing the October PLI course, but not sure if I should review materials on my own for a little bit before I go take the course, or if it's ok to just go straight to the course cold and start there.  I have tons of time to devote to studying, so I'm happy to do it either way; just trying to figure out the most effective method.

Would love to hear how you made it happen!

Thanks.

MarkDighton

We do NOT recommend just showing up at the live course. We assign about 20 hours of study in advance of the live course, and you may need a little more if you don't have much of a patent background. So, if you want to attend the live course in NY (now two weeks and two days away), you should order ASAP. The confirmation will include a link so that you can start studying right away, while you wait for your books to arrive.
Sincerely,
Mark Dighton
Admin. Director, Patent Office Exam Course
PLI

P.S.: I hope you don't mind me answering.... I usually just lurk here, but this sounded like the kind of thing where you might need an answer from "the horse's mouth."

Tobmapsatonmi

generally good advice from Mark.  If you were not going to an in-person class it would matter less, because you can always back up (disc/online, whatever) and go over sections repetitively. But if you're in person, spend 60 or so hours with the materials before attending else you reduce what you will absorb at the in-corpus class.
Any/all disclaimers you see on this forum used by members more experienced and/or smarter than I, are hereby incorporated by reference as if fully set forth herein.

I'm doing well as of 08-09-18 @ 18:38 hours, and regret only not getting that 1000th post. Hope all are doing well indeed! Thanks!

ip770

Quote from: MarkDighton on 09-26-17 at 12:46 AM
We assign about 20 hours of study in advance of the live course

Hi Mark,
I absolutely appreciate you chiming in.  I signed up for the PLI course last week and will be attending the NY session.  I've completed the online pre-course sections (~2.5 hours).  But seems like I'm missing something; what are the other things I should be studying in advance of the live course?
Thanks!

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com