Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: New to Patent Career  (Read 1311 times)

Patent lover

• View Profile
New to Patent Career
« on: 07-30-17 at 06:09 pm »

Hello,

Here is my situation:

Age-45
Sits in Patent Bar since November 2015
Waiting for Bar Admission
Excluding preparation for Bar exam, I look for job maybe 6-7 months or so

From this forum, I learnt that one of the best option to start career in Patent Law is to get job as USPTO. I need to know whether they really hire lawyers?

Also, I learnt from this forum, networking at Linked ID, joining IP section at local bar association, NAPP or AIPLA is another option to nail a job. I just wonder when I met with professionals, how do I actually network with them?

still_learnin

• View Profile
Re: New to Patent Career
« Reply #1 on: 08-01-17 at 02:39 pm »

From this forum, I learnt that one of the best option to start career in Patent Law is to get job as USPTO. I need to know whether they really hire lawyers?

Yes, some PTO Examiners are attorneys.

Also, I learnt from this forum, networking at Linked ID, joining IP section at local bar association, NAPP or AIPLA is another option to nail a job. I just wonder when I met with professionals, how do I actually network with them?

"Nail a job" makes me wonder if you think networking will greatly increase your job prospects. I don't think it will. To put it in mathematical terms, networking is [usually] necessarybut not sufficient.

IMHO, networking with patent attorneys is not much different than networking with other types of attorneys, which is not much different than networking with other types of professionals. I'm sure there are countless websites, blog posts, and books with advice about how to network. You could also talk to recent grads from your law school about their networking experiences.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Patent lover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-02-17 at 06:48 pm »

Then, what other things I can do to get myself marketable?

PatentPros482

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-03-17 at 09:32 pm »

Get an EE degree and some big clients.  Otherwise, it's a bad market for entry level candidates. 

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-03-17 at 11:54 pm »

What degree(s) do you have, and what is your work experience?

bluerogue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-06-17 at 01:39 am »

Yes they do.  I'm certainly one and had a decent amount of industry experience.  When I was interviewing, I was told (and don't know how true this is) is that the PTO does have a preference for not hiring lawyers with experience due to them not doing as well for various reasons.  The main reason I've heard is that lawyers are more argumentative and unwilling to do what the office/SPE wants and to follow office policy when it contradicts what the lawyer thinks is correct under the law.  I didn't seem to get much of a vibe that my interview had a screening based on temperament, but YMMV.

In order:

Have a million dollar+ book of business.
Go to a top 14 law school/graduate at the top of your class/get a Fed. Cir. clerkship. 
Have an EE or CS degree.
The views expressed are my own and do not represent those of the USPTO. I am also not your lawyer nor providing legal advice.

abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-06-17 at 11:23 pm »

It used to be that many SPE's did not want to hire lawyers because they would typically quit within 3 years, the amount of time it typically took for an examiner to make a return on the office's investment in training costs. And frankly, if I were a SPE, I would not want to spend all my time showing a new examiner the ropes just to have them, as they typically do, walk out the door.

During the last recession, there was a large number of lawyers seeking financial refuge as examiners, and a special accelerated track was established for them, but the turnover rate was very high. Why, I do not know for sure, but I faintly remember hearing that, as the other person said, they were argumentative and hard to work with, and I also heard they felt they deserved better, which in my view, they don't.

I think it is a poor idea, but some people in this forum have done it and are happy, so more power to them. And you can apply for lawyer positions within the office once you are there, though I believe it is harder to get the good positions than it used to be.

Frankly, with the good job market for engineers, skipping patent law altogether isn't a bad idea, in my view. But some people do like it.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 20 queries.