Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Theoretical IPR question  (Read 312 times)

cheesepep

• View Profile
Theoretical IPR question
« on: 07-14-17 at 05:16 am »

Ok, suppose A sues B for patent infringement for patent C that A owns.

B files for petition for IPR in the USPTO. The USPTO denies the petition for IPR for some reasons.

Can party D knowing this information file for another IPR review using different prior art? I suppose so, just want to confirm

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical IPR question
« Reply #1 on: 07-14-17 at 06:37 am »

Sure.  IPR has no estoppel against nonparties.  D might have done a better search, or have a better understanding of the prior art.  I believe that D can even file using the same prior art as B -- I know that's true of ex parte reexams, and I assume the same holds true of inter partes review, otherwise companies could abuse the system to "immunize" against prior art by having third parties file badly-done IPR proceedings.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-14-17 at 02:07 pm »

Sure.  IPR has no estoppel against nonparties.  D might have done a better search, or have a better understanding of the prior art.  I believe that D can even file using the same prior art as B -- I know that's true of ex parte reexams, and I assume the same holds true of inter partes review, otherwise companies could abuse the system to "immunize" against prior art by having third parties file badly-done IPR proceedings.
This is one of the big complaints about the IPR system - the ability for anyone at almost any time to challenge your patent, requiring you to defend and re-defend your right or risk losing it, means that there is very little "quiet" title to your invention.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-14-17 at 11:31 pm »

That was/is true under the ex parte and old inter partes reexam systems too, though.  And in court, any infringer is going to try to invalidate the patent.  "Quiet title" sounds great until the major corporations start gaming the system by getting friendly third parties to help them out.  (I was thinking about doing that as a business model for the qui tam action for false marking, up until Obama "reformed" that into oblivion. :) )
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 4.113 seconds with 20 queries.