Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Resume for experienced job seekers  (Read 1030 times)

midpatent

• View Profile
Resume for experienced job seekers
« on: 06-21-17 at 05:14 pm »

I'm currently doing patent pros at firm A and moved from firm B a few years ago.  I'm more or less doing the same thing at firm A as firm B.  I feel like I'm just repeating the same stuff on my resume for firm B that I put for firm A.   How should a resume be written for people who have worked for different firms doing more or less the same thing?

ma07

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Resume for experienced job seekers
« Reply #1 on: 06-22-17 at 01:25 pm »

I have done my best to point out any distinctions on my resume where possible.

For example, I previously only did mechanical prosecution at firm A and now have more of a chemical/biotech focus at firm B.  My resume refers generally to the mechanical arts for firm A, and states that I have experience related to pharmaceuticals, cosmetic formulations, etc. for firm B.  Maybe yours isn't such a drastic change, but perhaps you can identify different subject matter you've worked on at firm A v. firm B.

Also, although certain things remain the same, i.e., I still draft patent applications and respond to Office Actions, I have more sophisticated clients with greater IP needs at Firm B.  As a result, I now manage global patent portfolios, provide legal opinions, draft Appeal Briefs for filing before the PTAB, and handle agreement work.  None of this was ever needed for clients at Firm A.   

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-22-17 at 01:49 pm »

At this point in your career you should be doing more through networking.  Do you have good relationships with people at Firms A and B?  People who may have moved to Firms C and D?  Talk to them, see if they are hiring.  They will evaluate you based on their relationship with you, the resume is much less important than having someone who knows you vouch for you.

Also, think about what you can do at your current firm to set yourself apart.  Do you do appeal or IPR work?  See if you can get in on some of that to enhance your resume (and also your skillset).  Don't just sit there doing the same thing over and over unless that's all you want to do for the rest of your life.  Be proactive at work as much as reasonably possible.

novobarro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-22-17 at 03:13 pm »

At this point in your career you should be doing more through networking.  Do you have good relationships with people at Firms A and B?  People who may have moved to Firms C and D?  Talk to them, see if they are hiring.  They will evaluate you based on their relationship with you, the resume is much less important than having someone who knows you vouch for you.

I may have some relationships in other firms, but the firms are not close to me. 

Also, think about what you can do at your current firm to set yourself apart.  Do you do appeal or IPR work?  See if you can get in on some of that to enhance your resume (and also your skillset).  Don't just sit there doing the same thing over and over unless that's all you want to do for the rest of your life.  Be proactive at work as much as reasonably possible.

One reason for moving on is the firm does't do much appeal or IPR work, i'm doing the same thing more or less.

still_learnin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-22-17 at 03:30 pm »

I'm currently doing patent pros at firm A and moved from firm B a few years ago.  I'm more or less doing the same thing at firm A as firm B.  I feel like I'm just repeating the same stuff on my resume for firm B that I put for firm A.   How should a resume be written for people who have worked for different firms doing more or less the same thing?

At a high level of abstraction, you could certainly say that "patent prep & pros is patent prep & pros," regardless of firm.

But you could also break it down to a lower level to show distinctions: technology/art units; size/type of client, e.g. small business, large corporations, research universities; ex partes prosecution, old reexam, new post-grant proceedings; fast track proceedings like Track One, PPH, accelerated exam; experience with esoteric situations like expert declarations, reissue ...

If you provided significant client counseling, I'd highlight that. Working for large corporations with their own inhouse patent counsel, you don't get much opportunity for that, but perhaps you've also counseled small businesses.

FWIW, I'd say that the level of detail you provide should depend on how prosecution-savvy the potential employer is, since terms like "Track One" and "reexam" won't mean much to some resume readers.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-22-17 at 04:37 pm »

As another posted, some firms don't do much appeal and IPR work.  In which case, their bread-and-butter is new apps and responses to OAs.  Their main concern is efficiency, and efficiency often comes with repetition; so that could be a good thing.  Even if you have been doing the same stuff over and over, you should be doing it faster.  Your resume should indicate that.

That said, a common reason for jumping ship (besides the desire for more money) is the desire for more variety.  Even if you stick primarily to new apps and responses to OAs, working on new subject matter for new clients helps break the tedium (even though your short-term efficiency will likely drop).

UVAgal4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-27-17 at 04:18 am »

Do a skills resumé instead of chronological resumé, with a big section highlighting everything you have done, and then just list firms and dates. That way you don't have Firm A - Tasks 1, 2, 3, Firm B- Tasks 1, 2, 3, Firm C - Tasks 1, 2, 3...

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-27-17 at 05:49 pm »

Do a skills resumé instead of chronological resumé, with a big section highlighting everything you have done, and then just list firms and dates. That way you don't have Firm A - Tasks 1, 2, 3, Firm B- Tasks 1, 2, 3, Firm C - Tasks 1, 2, 3...
In the US (don't know about other countries), I wouldn't go this route.  Over the years, I've discussed resumes with career counsellors, recruiters, HR managers, and hiring managers.  The overwhelming consensus is do not submit a skills-based resume (commonly known as a functional resume); stick to a chronological resume.  It is OK to place a "Summary" at the beginning, a short bullet list highlighting key degrees and experience; but the bulk of the resume should be in chronological order (strictly reverse chronological order, most recent first):  Firm A; dates of service; roles, responsibilities, tasks, and accomplishments; ....  Sometimes a functional resume can be interpreted as a red flag that something's amiss in the applicant's work history.  As I wrote previously, especially for patent prosecution, there shouldn't be an issue.

Special issues should be addressed in a cover letter.

UVAgal4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-10-17 at 04:29 am »

Sometimes a functional resume can be interpreted as a red flag that something's amiss in the applicant's work history. 

Why would/could it be a red flag? Assuming the workplaces and dates more or less follow each other, I don't see the point of listing the same skills 15 times in a row.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-10-17 at 09:34 am »

Sometimes a functional resume can be interpreted as a red flag that something's amiss in the applicant's work history. 

Why would/could it be a red flag? Assuming the workplaces and dates more or less follow each other, I don't see the point of listing the same skills 15 times in a row.

Note I said "sometimes".  In your hypo, the applicant presumably has no break in his work history, and has done exactly the same tasks for fifteen different workplaces (which would raise a red flag in itself).  But many (most?) work histories are not that simplistic.  E.g.,

(a) Some people have gaps in their work histories (for whatever reason) and use a functional resume to obscure those gaps.

(b) Some people change careers several times, and use a functional resume to obscure how recent their experiences are.  E.g., suppose a guy started out as a computer programmer, switched to patent prosecution, then switched to product marketing.  Now suppose he wants to switch back to computer programming or patent prosecution.  A chronological resume would point out right away, e.g., that he hasn't done any computer programming in 10 yrs, and hasn't done any patent prosecution for 5 yrs.  With the format you've suggested, a potential employer would need to map the skills back to the employers to figure out the timeline (which is not always clear-cut if previous employers were large corporations that spanned a wide range of fields).

(c) But let's take even a more limited scenario.  The candidate has worked only in patent prosecution for 4 separate firms over the course of 10 yrs.  So he lists patent prosecution experience in the tasks of new apps, office actions, and appeals.  And he lists patent prosecution experience in the tech fields of software, semiconductor devices, displays, and autonomous vehicles.  But, he did no appeals for his first firm, a lot of appeals for his second firm, and no appeals for his third and fourth firm; so he hasn't done any appeals in the last 6 yrs.  Similarly, a major client at his first firm was a manufacturer of displays, but he hasn't worked on displays for the past 8 yrs.  Again, with a chronological resume, all this would be transparent.  With the format you've suggested, all this would be shrouded.  Career counsellors, recruiters, and HR personnel emphasize that managers typically decide within ~30 sec or so of reviewing a resume whether to retain it for further consideration or whether to trash it.  They're not going to spend much time deciphering your resume and mapping your skill set to your timeline.

So if you have a clean, albeit boring and mundane, work history, why take the risk of tainting it with a somewhat sketchy resume format?
« Last Edit: 07-10-17 at 09:48 am by smgsmc »

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-10-17 at 09:35 am »

It's just a cultural thing.  In law, "different" is a red flag.  In other fields, different is great.  What I did (in a similar situation) is put the bulk of my experience under my most recent firm, and put the same, but abbreviated stuff under the older firms.  If all you're doing is prep and pros, it's not an exciting resume, but if they want to hire you for prep and pros, that's what they want to see on your resume - prep and pros.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-10-17 at 09:40 am »

It's just a cultural thing.  In law, "different" is a red flag.  In other fields, different is great.  What I did (in a similar situation) is put the bulk of my experience under my most recent firm, and put the same, but abbreviated stuff under the older firms.  If all you're doing is prep and pros, it's not an exciting resume, but if they want to hire you for prep and pros, that's what they want to see on your resume - prep and pros.
Exactly, for firms strictly interested in prep and pros, boring is a plus.

UVAgal4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-11-17 at 04:31 am »

Ah I see. Yeah, I guess I was assuming pretty much the same tasks/domains over and over ad nauseum which is my life....

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.