Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting an EE degree after law school  (Read 1958 times)

BlueM_11

• View Profile
Re: Getting an EE degree after law school
« Reply #15 on: 06-15-17 at 08:46 pm »

Do other areas of law also take a few years to train?

I'd also be curious to the answer to this question. When you see how much training it takes to be a patent attorney (BS + JD + 2-3+ training per this read) one can see why it may take a persuasive argument to recruit to the field.

smgsmc

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Getting an EE degree after law school
« Reply #16 on: 06-16-17 at 07:25 am »

Do other areas of law also take a few years to train?

I'd also be curious to the answer to this question. When you see how much training it takes to be a patent attorney (BS + JD + 2-3+ training per this read) one can see why it may take a persuasive argument to recruit to the field.

I'll leave it to the experienced attorneys to answer the specific question, but I have two comments on your comment.

(a) "One can see why it may take a persuasive argument to recruit to the field" implies a difficulty in getting people to consider a career as a patent attorney; that would further imply a shortage of newbies.  But that's not the case ... it's the opposite scenario.  Most firms don't recruit newbies at all. Meanwhile, many newbies (JD + patent bar, but no experience) are frustrated trying to get their foot in the door to get their first few years of on-the-job training.

(b) The years of education and training is at least in line with (and, in some instances, even shorter than) the years of education and training for other advanced specialized professions.  Consider all the years it takes to become a full-fledged medical doctor.  And a PhD in science and engineering typically runs from ~5 - 7 yrs of grad school.  And, if you strive for an academic position, add ~2 yrs as a postdoc, and ~5 yrs as a junior prof fighting for tenure.
Pages: 1 [2]

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 1.121 seconds with 20 queries.