Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: can I write 3rd party software for TCI without infringing on copyright?  (Read 565 times)

david_m_gonzales

• View Profile
    • Email

Therapeutic Crisis Intervention is a system used to teach mental health techs how to de-escalate children in residential treatment facilities. Their system is based on other people's research. I want to write software teaching people how to de-escalate children by giving them scenarios and having the people go through steps to help de-escalate these children. My software would be based on the concepts of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention but will not rewrite their workbooks. Can I do this. Basically, are de-escalation techniques copyrighted. Will I infringe on their intellectual property? There is a desperate need for his software and think it will make a big difference for countless children.

thank you,
David

artchain

• View Profile
    • ArtChain Artist and Art Group Directory
    • Email

Copyright protects creative expression, but not knowledge, facts. or processes.

For example, if someone publishes a recipe, you can republish the ingredients and steps to cook the dish, provided you don't use the original author's wording.

What you are describing sounds like it would not be a copyright violation.  However, many companies tend to think their copyrights are broader than they actually are.  TCI might well sue you, and you would be faced with the cost of hiring a lawyer to defend you/

Before investing a great deal of effort to develop the software, get a consultation with an intellectual property attorney for an assessment of your specific situation.

Another option might be to contact TCI and see if they would be willing to have you develop the software as an authorized, licensed product, or even develop the software for them.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.