Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Using college/university logos in jewelry design  (Read 593 times)

Gr|ever

• View Profile
Using college/university logos in jewelry design
« on: 03-19-17 at 03:22 pm »

Hi, I'd like to use college/university logos--to an extent (like same school color of gemstone, lettering, etc.)--in my jewelry designs, sell them, and make money. Is this allowed? Google this company: Jostens (I can't provide an external link).

Do you believe they have official licenses with every college/university out there? Or, are they simply able to design their products without infringing on copyrights/trademarks?

Thanks for your expert advice!

mersenne

• David H. Madden
    • View Profile
    • Mersenne Law
    • Email
Re: Using college/university logos in jewelry design
« Reply #1 on: 03-19-17 at 08:03 pm »

You'd almost certainly need a license from each college or university.  Jostens probably has such licenses; they've been around since I was in high school (and probably for a long time before that).  It takes a long time to put together such a ubiquitous business, but once you've accomplished it, you've got a head start that no competitor can overcome.

That said, you're not prevented from using any particular color of gemstone, or any particular font (as long as it's not a copyrighted design specifically owned by a university).  But if you make jewelry using a university's name or slogan, or jewelry that a reasonable consumer would think came from / was associated with the university, you'll probably run into trouble.  Possibly even trouble with Jostens, since that's whose business you'd be interfering with.
Mersenne Law
Patents, Trademarks & Copyrights for Small Biz & Startups
California, Oregon & USPTO

haskhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-21-17 at 08:26 pm »

The quickest way to obtain a license is to go through the licensing program with Collegiate Licensing Company. They manage most of the major universities. The NCAA also has a licensing division. Unless you're looking at just a few major colleges/universities, going through a licensing group is much more efficient. Both CLC and NCAA have detailed information on their websites about obtaining licenses for the represented organizations.

Keep in mind, if you're looking to include Sororities, you will need to seek licensing from the Panhellenic Counsel, which you can find it you search 'Greek Licensing'.

Best wishes!

artchain

• View Profile
    • ArtChain Artist and Art Group Directory
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 03-22-17 at 01:06 pm »

The quickest way to obtain a license is to go through the licensing program with Collegiate Licensing Company. They manage most of the major universities. The NCAA also has a licensing division. Unless you're looking at just a few major colleges/universities, going through a licensing group is much more efficient. Both CLC and NCAA have detailed information on their websites about obtaining licenses for the represented organizations.

This is a great resource that I had not known about.  I wonder if there is a general list of licensing agents for various categories somewhere?

By the way, welcome to the forum...  I saw several posts from you yesterday, and they are spot-on.  Very helpful!

Gr|ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-26-17 at 10:12 am »

Wow, you were all most helpful. Thank you so much! I appreciate the guidance!

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 2.139 seconds with 20 queries.