Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Is handwriting copyrightable?  (Read 139 times)

MisterObvious

• View Profile
Is handwriting copyrightable?
« on: 03-14-17 at 05:27 pm »

I have a very broad question.  I believe that fonts are not copyrightable.  However, is the handwriting of an individual a work of art?  Can letters, phrases, titles, trademarks, logos, typesets, etc. based on a person's handwriting be the subject of a copyright?  If so, which?

haskhawk

• View Profile
Re: Is handwriting copyrightable?
« Reply #1 on: 03-21-17 at 08:35 pm »

I have a very broad question.  I believe that fonts are not copyrightable.  However, is the handwriting of an individual a work of art?  Can letters, phrases, titles, trademarks, logos, typesets, etc. based on a person's handwriting be the subject of a copyright?  If so, which?

Generally fonts as a typeface are not copyrightable. However, in fact, many fonts are copyrighted because they qualify as software or a program. There are handwriting fonts that are copyrighted, although it's not the visual stylization that is protected but rather the underlying code and software that creates the handwriting that is protected by copyright.

Logos may be covered by both trademark and copyright, but not every logo is covered by both. Copyright does not protect individual letters in the general sense, although, a highly stylized or particularly originally designed letter may be sufficiently original and deemed a work of authorship capable of copyright. Titles and phrases are not covered by copyright.

A handwritten trademark may enjoy protections under US Trademark law for the specific design elements, if the registration includes them (and, of course, if the application is approved).

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.