Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Knockoff Brand filed trademark in EU days before we filed  (Read 532 times)

jamesd1112

• View Profile

Hi and thanks to anyone who has time to provide any precedent or personal experience with this matter.

We are a US based consumer products brand who ships worldwide. We filed our EU trademarks shortly after we gained traction. It now appears someone (who is using an exact ripoff our logo, website design, packaging etc) filed a mark for a similar name days before we did.

We have extensive online sales in these territories through both online/direct to consumer and retail distributors. 

I feel we already have a strong case that their marks were filed in ill will. I would love to have some legal precedent to research regarding similar cases where this occurred.

Thank you again for you time.

J

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Knockoff Brand filed trademark in EU days before we filed
« Reply #1 on: 02-06-17 at 12:22 am »

Hi James,

If they have ripped off your logo, that would be protected under copyright, and so you should be able to stop them on that basis.  Some EU countries allow a limited form of trademark rights from usage, including Germany, and so that would be another basis.  England is still an EU member, and their trademark rights stem from use, so there too, you can stop them.

Depending on if and when you registered your U.S. mark -- or a mark in any other Madrid Convention country -- you may be able to claim priority to the prior registration, thus predating their filing.

I can recommend an EU law firm to you to handle it.  They handled a similar situation for my company.  I will send it by PM.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.