Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Can i use the word "Darth"  (Read 638 times)

Patrickk

• View Profile
Can i use the word "Darth"
« on: 01-15-17 at 01:59 pm »

Hi

I have a question. Can i legally use the word "Darth" in a title for example of a book or any other art work. And i dont mean the name "Darth Vader" or any other Darth xxx from the Star Wars saga. Just the word "Darth" with some other name or word that doesnt have anything to do with Star Wars. And the content itself has nothing to do with Star Wars either. 

artchain

• View Profile
    • ArtChain Artist and Art Group Directory
    • Email
Re: Can i use the word "Darth"
« Reply #1 on: 01-15-17 at 02:27 pm »

Under US Copyright law, you cannot protect a short phrase, much less a single word...  even an invented word.

You might run into trouble if your Darth showed character traits and behaviors similar to the Darths in the Star Wars novels and films, because then you could be accused pf appropriating the characters.

Aside from copyright laws, you should probably look into trademark.  I know that Lucasfilm has trademark protection for Darth Vader in many categories.

Remember that Star Wars is now owned by Disney, which has a reputation for going after "infringers" aggressively.  I have no idea if the Lucasfilm legal team has been fully absorbed by the dark side...

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.