Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Can a company claim Copyrights for a Similar Concept?  (Read 511 times)

Luka

• View Profile
    • Email

Hello,

I would like to make and perhaps monetize an animation in which abstract things would talk and look like humans. For example "Idea" would look like a person and talk with something else like "Computing". So Idea and Computing would talk to each other and look like 2 people, but still be what they are - and idea and computing. Now in the film Inside Out (2015) by Disney / Pixar there are human emotions that look and talk like people! Could Disney / Pixar claim anything or strike me on that grounds even if I of course DON'T include any of the characters or plot from the film??

Any info would be much appreciated!
Best regards

Smokin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can a company claim Copyrights for a Similar Concept?
« Reply #1 on: 01-11-17 at 08:59 am »

Concepts and ideas are not protected by copyright, only the tangible expression of these ideas are.

Now in the film Inside Out (2015) by Disney / Pixar there are human emotions that look and talk like people!
This is hardly a new idea or concept, and disney is a prime example of how to take an old idea and present it as something new. A large part of this company's success comes from the retelling of public domain stories/concepts.

Remember a tv show called hermans head? where his emotions were represented by characters.

http://pics.filmaffinity.com/herman_s_head_tv_series-338459554-large.jpg
Disclaimer: Not a lawyer

Luka

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can a company claim Copyrights for a Similar Concept?
« Reply #2 on: 01-11-17 at 05:48 pm »

Thank you very much for your reply Smokin! Now I get it.
It's just that it stuck in my craw after I heard that courts and different mainstream platforms lean towards granting even unjustified complaints of big companies over small guys.
Thanks again.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.