Source Code Ownership

Started by Vixen1980, 10-08-16 at 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vixen1980

Hi all,

Please feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong place. I'm just looking for some advise for my brother.  He set up a company 2 years ago creating and selling a specific software package to a specific target market. His business partner has always been very unprofessional and have had very little input.  Aside from the basic articles of association there are not contracts, shareholder agreements, responsibility of roles etc. every time the subject is broached the business partner dismisses it as unimportant.  My brother has created all of the code (as well as trying to run the business as well). The business is quite successful but my brother has decides he can no longer work with the unprofessionalism.  My question is does he own the rights to the code as no legal ownership documents have ever been drawn up or even discussed verbally.

I might add he is in the UK.
Thanks

MYK

I don't think we've had any UK solicitors posting here for as long as I've been on the board.   I would suggest asking on Reddit on the subforum http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladviceUK

I cannot vouch for the usefulness of their answers in /r/legaladviceUK, but reddit's /r/legaladvice (which is more U.S.-directed) is a swamp of idiots.  Still, they might be able to refer you to a competent solicitor.

Also, hate to say it, but not getting corporate rights, responsibilities, ownership, etc. set up is a great way to end up in litigation.  Depending on the value of the IP, the ownership issue is likely to be only the first in a long series of expensive disputes.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com