Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Picture Cakes  (Read 814 times)

Heinrich_Der_Vogler

• View Profile
Picture Cakes
« on: 09-15-16 at 03:56 pm »

Hi people.

So it's my Son's birthday.

I went to get a picture cake printed at Kroger's grocery store.

I have the copyright laws memorized in the USA and several other countries. Or so I thought.

Kroger schooled me on the "anything off a computer is copyright and we cannot print it" law.

But they also told me "the image must be brought in on a USB drive or printed at home".

How does one get it on a USB without a computer?

What does one PRINT it from? A potato? My potato only takes pictures. It has no print function.

They said this law applies to all computers. Including smart phones.

So, I take a picture of my son at home, using my phone, and it is immediately copyright to someone else? To whom? The cell phone company?

The actual image in question is that of a German King, which my 9 year old was named after, the first German King. I retrieved it from wikimedia commons with a free copyright. The image is from 1910.

The said it was illegal, since it is printed from a computer.

I mentioned what I thought was applicable. The 70 year rule. Valid in both the USA and Germany, the origin nation of the image.

They said there is no such law/rule, computer=copyrighted.

I was not convinced, and frustrated, asked for the manager.

He confirmed computer images are all copyrighted, and was so offended at me, he said "You clearly do not know ANYTHING about copyrights!"

So in summary:

How does one explain these:

1. What law says any image on a computer is copyrighted?

2. When did the 70 year rule end? Was that ever a law?

3. Who owns my personal pictures on my phone?

4. How does one print, without a computer?

5. How do you get an image on a USB without using any computing device?

Frustrated and want a great cake for my boy! Cannot afford to buy the equipment myself!

Thank you!

Tobmapsatonmi

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Cakes
« Reply #1 on: 09-16-16 at 07:11 am »

Happy Birthday to Heinrich, and sorry for your troubles and frustration.  Businesses are often quite confused about copyright and of course "anything off a computer is copyrighted" is not correct.  But because of their confusion they go overboard.

I would just take the thumbdrive with the image to the next Kroger (Albertson's, whatever) up or down the street until you get the job done.

Also, maybe it would help allay fears if you promise them that any evidence of their infringement, you will eat.   ;D

Heinrich_Der_Vogler

• View Profile
Re: Picture Cakes
« Reply #2 on: 09-16-16 at 07:00 pm »

Happy Birthday to Heinrich, and sorry for your troubles and frustration.  Businesses are often quite confused about copyright and of course "anything off a computer is copyrighted" is not correct.  But because of their confusion they go overboard.

I would just take the thumbdrive with the image to the next Kroger (Albertson's, whatever) up or down the street until you get the job done.

Also, maybe it would help allay fears if you promise them that any evidence of their infringement, you will eat.   ;D

Thank you for your reply.

Is any of that real then?

I have been out of the States for some time, and do not know how the laws change.

I am used to just ordering my cake online or at a kiosk, and picking it up in 15 minutes.

It is quite an ordeal here!

I like that about eating the evidence. Ha ha!

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.