YouTube, report a stolen (re-uploaded) parody video - legal or not?

Started by yukuu, 08-03-16 at 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukuu

Hi. If Person A made a parody video (really making fun of the original), for example Pokemon (wearing Pokemon characters self made costumes) and uploaded it on YouTube. And then Person B downloaded and re-uploaded the same video using his account:
Can Person A report the stolen video, saying "I am the owner of this work" ? (would it be legal) ?
(Even though those Pokemon (Anime) characters already exist and belong to Nintendo (or whoever), but still the parody belongs to Person A, or does it really belong to him?)
Thanks in advance  :)

Robert T Nicholson

The parody is an original creative work by Person A (even if it contains elements owned by someone else).

Person A owns the copyright on the parody.

Therefore, when person B uploads the work, he is violating Person A's rights.

This can be reported to YouTube by going to this page:

https://www.youtube.com/copyright_complaint_form

This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Robert Nicholson Consulting | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

MYK

Not only can you report it to YouTube, you can also register the copyright and sue the content-stealer for damages.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

yukuu

If I create, for example, a parody song of pokemon (if the music soounds almost like the original, but funny. making fun of the original), can I register that parody song I made (calling that song "my own work" ), at copyright gov, or not? Would that be legal? 

(I didn't know if i had to create a new topic or not since the question is related to this one, so I just posted it here)

Robert T Nicholson

Quote from: yukuu on 09-10-16 at 10:50 PM
If I create, for example, a parody song of pokemon (if the music soounds almost like the original, but funny. making fun of the original), can I register that parody song I made (calling that song "my own work" ), at copyright gov, or not? Would that be legal? 

(I didn't know if i had to create a new topic or not since the question is related to this one, so I just posted it here)

Yes, your parody would be a creative work, protected by copyright, and yes you could register the work at copyright.gov
This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Robert Nicholson Consulting | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com