Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Copyright issue on company name in different markets  (Read 1228 times)

Rainymay

• View Profile

Hi, I'm in the united states and I'm looking into becoming a indie game developer. I wanted a name similar to some of my favorite game company's like neversoft and ubisoft, so I came up with rabbitsoft. I did a bit of Googling and found there is a company in Cambridge united kingdom with that name. They do not make video games, but they make software for businesses. I don't see how the two could ever get confused in the minds of the consumer. Legally would I be safe even if games I make one day sell online in different countries?

Robert T Nicholson

• View Profile
    • Robert Nicholson Consulting
    • Email
Re: Copyright issue on company name in different markets
« Reply #1 on: 05-12-16 at 10:34 am »

What you are asking about is a trademark issue, not a copyright issue.

You are smart to look ahead.  Unfortunately, trademarks are issued country by country, so if you try to sell your product in Europe, you could well run into conflicts. 

Whether or not your product would actually cause confusion is irrelevant, to some extent, if the Cambridge company decides to file a lawsuit to block your sales...  it could get expensive for you, whether or not you prevail.

« Last Edit: 05-13-16 at 01:04 am by artchain »
This post is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Robert Nicholson Consulting | Copyright Safeguard | ED Treatment Center

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright issue on company name in different markets
« Reply #2 on: 05-12-16 at 01:03 pm »

You may also want to search TESS.  No hits for "rabbitsoft" in the register, but a couple of dead marks on "Rabbit Software".
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.