Can I name a blog/website after a medicine?

Started by JenWales, 11-22-15 at 02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JenWales

Hi, I hope someone knows the answer to this as I cannot find anything on the topic online. I'm thinking of naming a blog/website after a medicine - similar to the book Prozac Nation. Are there any IP issues around using the name of a medicine in this way?

Tobmapsatonmi

Quote from: JenWales on 11-22-15 at 02:47 AM
Hi, I hope someone knows the answer to this as I cannot find anything on the topic online. I'm thinking of naming a blog/website after a medicine - similar to the book Prozac Nation. Are there any IP issues around using the name of a medicine in this way?

Bumping in hopes someone comes along with better answers than mine.

But it'll depend on what you're doing with the website.  If you named it www.prozacsucksbigtime.net and it's dedicated to criticizing the use/overuse of the nation, no one is going to think your website is affiliated with the makers of prozac and there are plenty of cases indicating it is okay to use a trademarked product name for purposes of criticizing that product (US cases, anyway, I won't try to dabble farther than that).

On the other hand, www.prozac-pro.com might confuse people into visiting your website because they're looking for information about purchasing prozac, so that could be actionable. 

These are just broad outlines. 
Any/all disclaimers you see on this forum used by members more experienced and/or smarter than I, are hereby incorporated by reference as if fully set forth herein.

I'm doing well as of 08-09-18 @ 18:38 hours, and regret only not getting that 1000th post. Hope all are doing well indeed! Thanks!

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com