The next big thing

Started by Warren Barquist, 10-23-14 at 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Patent1

JI:  "If the viral vectors is what I think it is, that's really cool -- or perhaps really scary.  It's essentially a gene editor -- sending in viruses with genetic patches to cut/copy/paste genetic codes into genes.  Wow."  You have the gist.  Tantalizingly close on some fronts (cystic fibrosis for one). I came in "second place" for position as AVP-IP for a company doing such research, in clinicals on one viral-gene-therapy; located in Europe to boot.  Bummer  :(.  I flagged topic as an IMO "next big thing" in patents at least in part bcs of all of the "ancillaries" – like methods of manufacturing in commercial quantities (one patent uses mosquitoes), and the "nucleases" needed to do the cut-and-paste operations,. Although recent SCOTUS cases have called the patentability of some such into question (AMP - isolated products of nature).  Of course "moral-ethical-legal" questions remain on many fronts. 

IhateNPEs

Personalized medicine ?....well, OK.  You might want to read "Personalized Medicine Patents at Risk Tips for Battling Prometheus and Myriad" on the web. I don't claim to have any expertise in this area, so I probably shouldn't comment.

bartmans

A year ago I would have said 'diagnostics' and especially molecular diagnostics (like myriad). However, dropping that name already explains my hesitation now: I am afraid that in thefuture diagnostics will be the less patentend development.

MYK

Quote from: Tobmapsatonmi on 10-28-14 at 09:21 PM
Perhaps a good opportunity to mention a book from about 20 years ago called "Blood Music", by Greg Bear.
Or "The White Plague". :-\
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

MYK

Quote from: NJ Patent1 on 10-29-14 at 05:06 AM
methods of manufacturing in commercial quantities (one patent uses mosquitoes),
"That's actually an idea," he said. "If the infection got totally out of hand, we might have to save the world by detonating some nukes in the Harbor.  We'd lose Boston but it would be worth it." -- Kelvin, "Zodiac", by Neal Stephenson
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

bluewhale

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com