Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Question about using a photograph  (Read 3552 times)

Hind_sh

• View Profile
Question about using a photograph
« on: 12-22-13 at 11:39 pm »

Hello All,
So, i want to use a photograph of the actual place that Van Gogh drew for commercial uses. However, i am not able to find the photograph's owner to attribute it to them and use it. what should i do in this case? just drop the photo graphs?
someone who really appreciates art would answer i reckon.
Best,

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question about using a photograph
« Reply #1 on: 12-23-13 at 01:10 am »

It's not a question of appreciating art, it's a question of copyright law.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't use such a photo without a license.  If you know when the photo was first published, you may be able to determine that it is now out of copyright and so available to use freely.  Otherwise, you should probably find another photo that you can license or that is out of copyright.

Note that I'm basing this on your mention that this is "for commercial uses".  If your use were noncommercial, you might be able to make out a case for fair use.

I'll add that Chris Moore has a recent website with quite a few photos related to Van Gogh's settings (because of his latest novel, Sacre Bleu, which is sort of about Van Gogh), and you may be able to find a usable photo there -- and to license it from him, since you would know who took it and when.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Hind_sh

• View Profile
Re: Question about using a photograph
« Reply #2 on: 12-24-13 at 12:33 am »

Thank you so much. I guess you are right. it is more about laws than art appreciation.
I am checking Chris Moore's blog.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.