Advanced Degree options in NYC...

Started by superfanny001, 01-04-13 at 04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfanny001

So, for a background, I graduated in 2010 from law school. I couldn't find jobs (I had worked drafting patent apps and office action responses during the summers tho) so started my own practice in NYC focusing on patent/IP matters (I have a background in biochem and math from a prestigious university, but no work experience). I got lucky and worked with several startups and also managed to score a big break as an Independent Contractor/pseudo In-House Patent Counsel for a Swiss-based medical technology company. I managed to take the next step 4 months ago by joining a small law firm that does a lot of software, green tech, and med tech patent filings (while still keeping my old clients and book of business). So basically, I've been lucky thus far despite my (IMO) less than stellar tech background/experience.

I currently live in NJ and work in NYC. I've considered enrolling part-time in a master's degree in EE/CS/Physics. I'm thinking that considering that 99% of all patent job listings require this background, it would be helpful (apart from the fact that I do kind of have an interest in learning more) for future job prospects because I do not know what the future may hold.

I wanted to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation or would have any meaningful advice based on their experiences. Note, I have ZERO student debt (I consider myself blessed for that b/c I know how much that weighs on many people) so taking out loans for a master's degree wouldn't be an excessive burden for me. Additionally, any information on which NYC/NJ universities would be advantageous would be helpful. Would, say, going to Columbia or Princeton open doors as opposed to NYIT or Stevens Institute of Tech?

Thanks in advance and apologies for any ignorance on this subject matter.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com