Business idea- t-shirts--quick question regarding usage of athlete's name

Started by mtlynch03, 01-06-11 at 06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtlynch03

I have a quick question regarding a t-shirt idea. It will consist of just a 5 letter phrase on the front--referring to a famous athlete(simply the first name, will be used in the phrase). I was wondering --is it illegal to put on the back of the shirt the athlete's last name and jersey number? I think I would need that person/ teams authorization before doing that correct? Will that team/player expect some proceeds each time its sold, eventhough it will not have the teams name or logo on the shirt--simply a phrase and that athletes last name and number on the back. I would greatly appreciate some advice on this topic. Please let me know and once again thanks again.

Sincerely,

Matt

Isaac

There is some old discussion on this site that included posters who had experience working with professional sports leagues.  It might be worthwhile to search for some of that stuff.
Isaac

mas24546

I do`nt think it is illegal, Because here in Sri Lanka I have seen many  T - shirts  which has Beckem`s name & jersey name back of it. Depends on the phrase you going  to use.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com